Whatsit

Hi all
    This object was in the garage of the house when I bought it 10 years ago. I've kept it around even though I really don't know what it is. Was
doing a cleanup of the shop when I came across it again, and thought that the good people of RCM might be able to identify it.     The half with the slots rotates relative to the half with the circular cutter, and is indexed so the center of the slot remains in the centerline of the cutter. I have no idea of it's age, but it's certainly at least 10 to 15 years old.
    Any ideas?
<
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit.jpg
<
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Whatsit2.jpg
<
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit3.jpg
<
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/whatsit5.jpg
--
__
Pete Snell

Looks like you feed something round into the one end, spin the cutter against it, and get a spiral out the other end?
What's the name on the end, that's not clear in the photos. Looks vaguely medical-ish to me?
Dave Hinz wrote:

    C-G-E Carboloy Made in Canada.
--
__
Pete Snell
Pete Snell wrote:

Wonder if that could be used to ream the seats on cutting torch tips?
GWE
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:00:08 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

What do they cut with 1.5" diameter tips, Grant? <thud>
P.S: I hope it's the acetylene opening vs. the oxy holes. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------- * Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy * --Noah * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is probably an ice skate "sharpener" used to touch up the edges of hollow ground blades. Primary sharpening is done with a specialized grinding set-up. Ray

Ray Field wrote:

I think so too.

Fits the shape of the blade, and the country of origin; the spinning is so you can use different parts of the cutter. What's the width of the straight slot?

My bets are on "scissor sharpener".
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Yes... particularly if the "slots" are different sizes, allowing you to sharpen various thickness blades? David

Pete Snell wrote:

Medical instrument used by 20th century mohels*, sometimes producing unintended results. Viz.
The cock of a fellow named Red, Was adorned with a spiralized head. When at last he laid eyes, On a cooze the right size, He was foiled by a left-handed thread!
Jeff
* Lookit up if you don't know it.
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The skate sharpener quess seems to be correct. http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-SKATE-SHARPENER-in-BOX-made-by-G-E-CARBOLOY_W0QQitemZ7186288611QQcategoryZ4939QQcmdZViewItem
Pete Snell wrote:

machineman wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-SKATE-SHARPENER-in-BOX-made-by-G-E-CARBOLOY_W0QQitemZ7186288611QQcategoryZ4939QQcmdZViewItem

    Looks like we have a winner! Thanks for the help!
--
__
Pete Snell

Pete,
Carballoy makes tool holders, inserts, and other metal cutting products
Mark