where can I get blades for a Red Devil Hook Scraper #15

I have this handle, made of metal, it says US Pat 1670646, RedDevil-Hook Scraper #15 - the blade would appear to be about 1.25 inches or so - but I can't find anything about it - anyone got a clue (look, an On Topic post - it's about metal and tools) - I think this probably takes an S shaped blade of some kind, but .....???? maybe it's a rare and valuable antique that will make me rich, but I'm not going to hold my breath - maybe it's just scrap steel because it isn't made any more, maybe ???

Reply to
William Noble

According to William Noble :

Did you try Google?

My first hit when searching on:

Red Devil hook scraper

was:

which is an old one with an extra pair of blades for $20.00.

Click on the image there to get a larger image, plus several other images which may tell you whether this is the same as yours.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ever heard of Google, William? Saves a lot of typing!

Tom

thankyou tom and Don N - yes, I do know google well, and I spent at least two hours looking carefully through a few thousand links, not one of which showed anything even remotely resembling this tool - this is not a tool with a wood handle, it is a hollow steel handle 4.84 inches long 1.280 inches wide, 0.660 inches thick, held together by tabs at the edges and a single rivet through the middle, and the information I quoted below inscribed onto it. None of the blades illustrated in any web site I visited, nor in McMaster Carr (looked at three different catalogs over two decades) showed any similar device either. So, I thought I might ask here and see if anyone knew the particular tool because it looks like it would be handy as a gasket scraper but it's kinda useless without blades

Reply to
William Noble

Well you're really pushing the boat out on this, William. :-)

FTCL-1944:

"No. 15 Hook Scrapers With No.15 Renewable Cutters In cartons of 1 dozen; weight, 2-1/8pounds. Scrapers. each $.25 Cutters. each .10 In Display Cartons Containing 1 Dozen Hook Scrapers and 1 Dozen Extra Cutters. .. .each 4.20"

Has a pic, but you already know what it looks like...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:22:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "William Noble" quickly quoth:

All of mine have been double-edgers, but yours seems to be a single-edger. Try the Red Devil website, whydoncha?

-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ok, tom, you win - I bow to your superior search skills - where the heck did you find the information you posted (below2)? I tried everything I can think of - a search for "no. 15 hook scrapers" turns up zero hits, so it's on a page google hasn't indexed, a search of red devil's web site turns up no blades that seem right, and nothing I could find that looks even remotely like it fits, and somehow by magic you turn up the right thing - I do a lot of searching, but obviously I could learn something here - I even tried the FCTL-1944 key as a search phrase - no hits on google or yahoo search engines -

so, enlighten me on the search phrase or how you found this - it's hard to believe that one can buy scrapers for 25 cents each any more - perhaps that's from a really really old catalog? or of course, it's totally possible that you have a trick that I don't

??????

">>>

Reply to
William Noble

:-)

From Tom's Catalogue Library - 1944

BTW It appears as if Red Devil took over selling the hook scrapers from the original maker of the product Hook Scrapers Inc. Tired lot, as they were still marking scrapers with the patent number in the 50s even though it was well expired, having been issued in 1927. A trend they had in common with Winchester.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

His Google Fu is strong!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

based on Tom's discovery of this tool in a 1944 catalog and my inability to find anyting on line, I've decided it must be either scrap metal or a valuable collectors item - for those who would care to see a picture (or collect it, for that matter), I put it on e-bay here:

I figure the chance of finding blades in current production is about the same as the chance of this NG suddenly having an epiphany and eschewing guns or politics, so it's of no use to me

thanks Tom, appreciate the help/insight.

Reply to
William Noble