Bizarre submersible found floating off New York City

OK, WTF is going on here? Anybody in NYC care to give us any more info on this?

Bizarre submersible found floating off New York City... New York authorities were questioning three men found in a bizarre submersible vessel floating just off Manhattan on Friday, according to local reports.

The men were discovered early Friday near the cruise terminal in Brooklyn where the massive ocean liner The Queen Mary II is moored, ABC television reported on its website.

When asked about the incident, a police spokeswoman declined to confirm the report or provide any further information, saying only that officers were at the scene.

What the three men were doing in the vessel -- which appeared to be spherical with a circular hatch on top -- was not immediately clear.

Metal working content: it looks like it's made from metal. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

kfvorwerk

It was a replica of a revolutionary war wooden semi-submersible. So floating around in a public navigable waterway in what is little more than an oddly-shaped wooden rowboat is now somehow a crime? The terrorists have won! We now live in a country where the slightest odd behavior is a crime.

How long till it is considered "odd" to have a machine shop in your basement? Who knows what you could be building down there.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Reply to
JR North

The QMII has a legally protected security zone? I wonder what mine is and if the use of deadly force is allowed.

This is on topic since there was metal in the gents project.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I believe that muzzle loading weapons are excepted from the federal gun control laws. They classify a Walther .22 cal pistol as an assault weapon but you can own a percussion, 44 cal muzzle loader. I wonder what Abe Lincoln would think about that.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Reply to
brucedpaige

If a replica of the "Turtle" is terrorist then a replica of a flintlock probably is too ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

It would be VERY odd for me. None of the six building on my property even has a basment.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 09:39:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Nick Hull quickly quoth:

Did you misread him? He was saying that the terrorists (behind 9/11, etc.) had won because our country is being locked down in paranoia. Our fearful leaders don't seem to realize that they can't ever "protect us" from terrorists, period. We're wasting billions over nothing and losing our freedoms in the process.

Tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people no longer fly due to the assinine restrictions and invasive processes now involved in merely boarding a plane. Feh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-snip-

saw a video about it on

shows it being hauled away on a nyc police flat bed truck.

that's a DAMN shame. when i was a kid looking at encyclopedia britannica and thought "The Turtle" was SO cool! even as a kid i wished i could've built one. now this guy DOES build and floated one and he's hauled off by the cops. i mean, i can see how they'd think it was a homemade terrorist bomb device (like they thought the LED Ignignokt lights they found in boston) but that's a damn shame they had to haul the guy in and confiscate his sub! hope they didn't (and won't) damage it and they give it back to him and he won't face any charges. that's too cool that he built one and floated it!

b.w.

(somebody said the terrorists won. sucks.)

Reply to
William Wixon

maybe the NYC cops will be sensible, but more likely today someone will invoke the patriot act and it will be illegal to even talk about it

I agree with larry J - the terrorists have won, it's time to start our own insurgency to take back the country - we ought to be able to argue about politics without degenerating into name calling (you know, the commie pinko liberal nattering nabob versus the captialist imperialst running dog pig), we ought to be able to carry a pair of cuticle clippers onto an airplane, we ought to be smart enough to know that live is always fatal, and nothing will ever be risk free

William Noble

My first thought as well, but towing what looks like a floating bomb within

200 feet of a potential target is just retarded. In this case, I don't think the police overreacted, and I think this "artist" probably welcomed the publicity.
Reply to
ATP*

Nail clippers!!

Hell, I'd be pretty happy to know that at least 1/3 of the folks aboard a flight I was on were armed.

I'd rather take my chances on a gunfight occurring, than a takeover.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Really? Cites?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:14:30 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Nick Hull quickly quoth:

Unarmed passengers and ballsy flight attendants who now have God complexes and can put a person in prison for smiling at them wrong. THAT's what's worse, and it happening now.

Our fearful leaders are reacting just as the terrorists wanted. They're concentrating on closing one hole while leaving dozens of others wide open. If terrorists have any brains at all, they'd never do another plane hijacking. It's much better covered now. They'll choose one of the dozens of other methods for disrupting our life. We're outspending the terrorists by something like a million to one. For every buck they spend, we're wasting $1,000,000.

What has it netted us? _Maybe_ 5% safer airports? Feh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sky marshalls have NEVER stopped a skyjacking. Armed pilots have. We know what it is like when the passengers are disarmed, what could be worse? Free men own guns - www(dot)geocities(dot)com/CapitolHill/5357/

Reply to
Nick Hull

It would be difficult to imagine a worse outcome then the 9/11 flight. If a Sunday shooter shoots me I MAY survive, If we fly into the twin towers I WON'T survive. Always go with odds, boys.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Reply to
brucedpaige

Asymetrical warfare is like that. Always has been, always will be.

Minnows swimming in the schools.

Read some Mao, and some Sun Tzu...and some von Clauswitz.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Lessee here....that bridge was built in 1967...and 13 yrs later was found to be "deficient"

That would have been a Democrat President who allowed it to be built..and a bunch of Democrats who pissed the money away since then. Afterall..they didnt have a war going on.

Now about the Democrats and the Levees down in New Orleans....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:37:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

So, what have we accomplished in Iraq besides providing a large training ground for terrorists?

Not a bad idea. I downloaded _On War_ (Vom Kriege) from Project Gutenberg.

Reply to
Larry Jaques