Where to find ca. 24 RPM?

I need a couple of shafts that turn about 24 RPM. I have a variety of gear motors but they're either tiny or the wrong type to be slowed with a variac.

What production device might I be able to salvage either ca. 24 RPM gear motors or smallish speed-controlable motors from?

No machine shop gear so making a gearbox from scratch isn't on.

Target is a mechanical candy puller to handle smaller-then-commercial batches of pulled candy so service is continuous but very modest torque.

Now I have to go clean up the mess left by verifying that all the motors I have are unsuitable. Grumble.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Not quite what you asked, but my favorite surplus purveyer is Marlin P. Jones, they have a 12VDV 25 rpm gear motor for $13:

Carl

I need a couple of shafts that turn about 24 RPM. I have a variety of gear motors but they're either tiny or the wrong type to be slowed with a variac.

What production device might I be able to salvage either ca. 24 RPM gear motors or smallish speed-controlable motors from?

No machine shop gear so making a gearbox from scratch isn't on.

Target is a mechanical candy puller to handle smaller-then-commercial batches of pulled candy so service is continuous but very modest torque.

Now I have to go clean up the mess left by verifying that all the motors I have are unsuitable. Grumble.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On 1/19/2021 10:36 PM, Mike Spencer wrote: > I need a couple of shafts that turn about 24 RPM. I have a variety of > gear motors but they're either tiny or the wrong type to be slowed > with a variac. >

McMaster Carr has a number of gear motors for under $100.

This one looks like it might be close to what you are looking for:

400 oz/in is more torque than a stepper on a small CNC hobby mill.

Surplus Center, American Scientific, and Ebay are also places to check for surplus and new alternatives. I can't speak to food safety on any of them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Maybe an old laser printer? Especially the giant ones that were built like tanks.

Maybe too wimpy for your application, but there are a bunch of DC right-angle gear motors from China for tens of dollars up to maybe $80 or so, and they can supply an open-board speed controller for a bit more. Quality seems quite good (metal worm gear train). There are also some reducers that could be coupled to a brushless motor or stepper if you need really long life.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What production device might I be able to salvage either ca. 24 RPM gear motors or smallish speed-controlable motors from?

----------------------------- Not for this perhaps, but garage door openers. The adjustable overload sensor may be useful too.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Actually an old chain drive might just be perfect.

Reply to
Bob La Londe