Where to get ACME 3/4"-5 Tap

I need a 3/4", 5 threads per inch ACME tap, but I can not find one! It's the standard thread size for broom handles and paint rollers, but why doesn't anybody make one? Anyone know where to get one online? Thanks!

Reply to
routman

try mcmaster item 25345A14.

Even if this is a wrong item, they have a variety of 3/4"-5 taps.

Ignoramus21682

I was hoping to find an imported one for around $60, but I have not been able to find one at any other store.

Reply to
routman

I bet if you ask nice, someone on the group would make you one for the price of the stock and shipping.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I just did that thread by single point turninging in aluminum. I had to break the crest (id) to fit mop handles.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

This isn't exactly an Acme thread, if you look closely, you'll find both root and crests are rounded on your mop handle. You can get taps for threading wood from a lot of woodworking supply houses, even HF carries them, although the choice of threads is limited. They usually run $5-10, bottoming taps are a little more. A couple of outfits we have here in town are also out on the web, Woodcraft and Rockler Hardware, last I looked, both cataloged threading boxes and matching taps for wood. Metalworking taps aren't really suited for woodworking, you can usually get fairly fine-threaded ones to work but coarse ones will probably just chew out the hole. The woodworking ones have one cutting point at the start of the thread and the tap is hollow so that the waste gets passed through a hole in front of the cutting face into the center of the tap. I use an Arkansas slip to hone it before using. You want that cutting face to cut, not scrape.

Stan

Reply to
stans4