Whew!

Car's in the garage, drying out. I did the last 25 feet myself, because #1 son has some end-of-term thrashing to do for an English class*, and SWMBO pulled a fascia in her foot.

I got _really motivated_ because I noticed that we'd left the window open the last time we worked on it, and it has rained. I needed to get it in where it was warm and dry.

And -- the project even ended up having metalworking content. I ended up making a tow bar for the back of the car, that I could attach to the drawbar of the tractor to push the thing around.

Now I just need to see if I can get anywhere with the front suspension.

  • @#$%.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

On my Saturn SL1 and soon on my Ford Focus, the trailer hitch I still have to mount was my attach point so I could get pulled back out of places I should not have gone.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

All in all this would have taken a hell of a lot less time if I'd spent an evening up front making a bracket that would fit into the Honda's front jacking point, and go onto my loader (or in place of it). Then the actual moving would have taken 1/2 an hour, instead of three or four, spread out over three days.

One always achieves clarity in hindsight...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

(...)

Good luck, Tim!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--Didn't catch the beginning of this thread but if that car's had an open window for a spell the real problem won't be rain, it'll be critters that got in thru the opening! I left a truck in our meadow for a month or so one spring and when I went to check on it all the plastic handles had been gnawed to nubs! Rat poop on seats as well: yecchhh!

Reply to
steamer

It hasn't been out that long. Even with windows rolled up an unused car gets moldy if it's in the Willamette valley. It just took us three sessions of tugging and cussing, spread out over a week, to get it the

200 feet from where the tow truck dumped it to my shop floor. We left windows open during both the intervals, and got a few of those late winter Oregon rainstorms, where you expect to see an arc sailing by at any moment.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sure sign that you need to get a BIGGER loader!

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

Like ol' Uncle Einar used to say, "Ach, too soon old, too late schmart!"

As far as the front end, I admit I haven't seen one in a while, but if you're a metalworking guy, it should be - lessee, not quite trivial, but more tedious than difficult. ;-) I once had a '75 Plymouth Gran Fury, and my neighbor and I replaced an A-arm bushing with hand tools and elbow grease. ;-)

Do they still make Chilton's?

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes they do, and I should get one for this car. I need to see if the frame is bent up (the jury's still out), and whether I think I can straighten it if it is.

The only tool I don't have is a spring compressor, and if I'm intrepid (or stupid) enough I can make one of those from stuff I have on hand. At the very least it needs a lower A-arm, spindle, and steering arm. A fender and bumper, too, if looks matter.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Frame - ewww!

But, well, here's wishing you the best! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise