Which Lathe to buy

A local dealer recommends an ENCO lathe. Are they any better or worse than a Jet? Bob AZ

Reply to
RWatson767

ENCO or EMCO - BIG difference! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

[ ... ]

Agreed!

However -- assuming that it is Enco, not EMCO, one consideration which I have read (and it might have changed since I read about it) is that the Jet is modified so the spindle nose thread is one which the machine can cut. (The machine is supplied with leadscrew and gears to cut inch threads, and all but the Jet of this particular size have a metric nose thread, so you can't make backplates to mount chucks from other sources. (I don't know whether the one which you are considering is the one which I have read about.) Check the spindle nose thread pitch, and the threads which it is supplied able to cut.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

About ten years ago, I bought a 9x36 lathe by Frejoth, a Taiwan manufacturer, from a machine tool dealer in the S.F. Bar Area. It has change gears to cut both English and metric threads, and was supplied with an 8 thread/inch "imperial" lead screw. (I chose it mainly for its large 1 5/8" ID spindle bore). When cutting metric threads, the only difference is the thread-chasing dial can no longer be used, and the lathe has to be reversed without disengaging the half-nuts to go back and deepen threads. This is only a big problem when threading to a flange since the 220 V. single-phase motor cannot be stopped instantly or accurately on the way to reversing it. Overall, I've been very happy with this machine, but I'm only an Electronics Engineer and so probably almost anything looks good to me.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

In the instance of the imported 9x20 lathe (China), they can cut their own spindle thread (39x4mm I think), but the gear combination isn't listed in the operating manual.

The Jet models were supplied (probably still are) with an inch/sae threaded spindle (1-1/2" 8 maybe) which is a more common backplate thread.

I'm not sure about any other differences between the Jet or generic/Enco other than Jet's paint color. Maybe the Jet has a UL recognized motor.

The 9x20 versions have other issues which are addressed on numerous lathe boards/lists and web pages. One item which nearly every owner modifies is the poorly designed 2-bolt compound mount. Another common complaint was the 4-jaw chuck that's supplied with the lathe.. some refer to it as a wood lathe chuck. It's suitable for the 9x20 model because the spindle isn't sturdy enough to support a significantly heavier chuck.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

In the instance of the imported 9x20 lathe (Enco or Jet are China imports), they can cut their own spindle thread (39x4mm I think), but the gear combination isn't listed in the operating manual.

The Jet models were supplied (probably still are) with an inch/sae threaded spindle (1-1/2" 8 maybe) which is a more common backplate thread.

I'm not sure about any other differences between the Jet or generic/Enco other than Jet's paint color. Maybe the Jet has a UL recognized motor.

The 9x20 versions have other issues which are addressed on numerous lathe boards/lists and web pages. One item which nearly every owner modifies is the poorly designed 2-bolt compound mount. Another common complaint was the 4-jaw chuck that's supplied with the lathe.. some refer to it as a wood lathe chuck. It's suitable for the 9x20 model because the spindle isn't sturdy enough to support a significantly heavier chuck.

Reply to
Wild Bill

About the same. I have seen and used both 12" models. I would buy the Enco if the choice was between the 2 makes. 9" I don't really know about.

Reply to
Richard W.