Who would you guys donate money to for Katrina?

One very valid organization to donate to is CERF, Craft Emergency Relief Fund.

This is an organization with an excellent track record, that support artists through disasters like fires, floods, etc.

Several of my friends who have had disasters happen to them over the years have been helped by them. CERF has helped them with low interest loans to rebuild homes, studios, lives.

Abrasha

Abrasha

That doesn't mean doodly, they will take the money from another fund and put yours in.

As a former GI I wouldn't give the RC the time of day.

Reply to
Clif Holland

The Escapees RV Club, Inc. has one of its common interest groups called DOVE which stands for Disaster Operations Volunteer Escapees (the Doves BOF). These angels have all been through extensive Red Cross training for disaster relief. They have made a difference after hurrricanes, floods and other disasters. They arrive in their own RVs and bring their own water, provisions and power so that they are not taking any resources from the people they are there to help. They are accepting contributions which will go to the disaster relief projects they are assigned to. (they refused to accept donations for their own costs of fuel, bless them.)

The Escapees E-News, today published this address to send donations to.

I believe the checks should be payable to DOVE BoF.

Please feel free to contact the Escapees RV Club, Inc. either by phone or at their website

for verification.

Reply to
RAM^3

How about to the stadiums that are being used to house the refugees? Last time I looked places like the Astrodome weren't setup for people to live in. They certainly aren't going to be putting 75,000 people up in hotels. They will need plenty of "furnishings", blankets, etc. for a fair amount of time until people can be disbursed to longer term accommodations.

That is indeed a problem, but not one we need to focus on today or tomorrow. Probably 30 days out after the more immediate concerns are addressed.

There already is a housing shortage. Hopefully a reasonable percentage of the refugees have some relatives that will be able to take them in for a while.

What property? Their property for the most part is gone. Bank records and similar are stored on computers last time I looked (today) and are readily retrievable.

Well, if they were living in New Orleans and had a mortgage they certainly had flood insurance. If those without mortgages chose to do without flood insurance they will simply have to take responsibility for that choice. Those who simply could not afford flood insurance have a lot of paperwork to look forward to in order to try to get assistance.

Well, if you're including religious groups on the "neocon" list then, yes, most certainly. In fact looking at a FEMA list of relief agencies currently working in the area, it's abundantly clear that most are in fact religious groups. Being a devout atheist myself, I find it rather distressing that there are so few non religious relief groups to donate to.

Um, perhaps in the same camps with the other relief workers?

Not sure how relevant this is currently. Most folks have the standard batch of immunizations, and at this point the disaster area hasn't quite reached the point where it's an immediate concern. Certainly will reach that point fairly soon if they aren't able to pickup the bodies and get things draining.

Exactly how would said pallet of diapers be wasted? Every picture I've seen on CNN or any other source has shown plenty of people with infants who will indeed need diapers.

I see you have no answer to what the government you so despise should be doing to help the Katrina recovery that they aren't already. Very easy for you to sit around and attack the actions of others, a bit more difficult to come up with anything constructive eh?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

So much has been said about placing blame, global warming, the price of gasoline, etc...What about the refugees in New Orleans? Is it such a good idea to send 20,000 of them to the Astrodome in Houston? This has to be a temporary solution. Many of these refugees may never have a home again in New Orleans. Let's face it, 90% or more of these refugees are poor minorities with no hope or jobs...This would be a good opportunity for us in "blue" states to open our hearts and doors to them. Instead of housing 20,000+ of them in the Astrodome; why can't we take 1000 or more of them to EACH state in states from Washington to Maine. This would be a good opportunity for all of us to experience some multi-cultural diversity! (Somewhere Ted Kennedy is smiling at the idea...)

Reply to
StatHaldol

PLEASE take em to the Blue states! They will increase your voting roles, add diversity and be an interesting adjunct to your population.

We in the Red State know that you will treasure and keep them in the same hidious poverty they have been kept in by Democrats while living in New Orleans. A whole new group of poor, hopeless and often illiterate ghetto minorities to call your very own and to keep under your thumb, and be kept helpless, hopeless and frankly..stupid.

Mind you..it may take a while to learn to understand their language. While fascinating to listen to, Creole spiced with Ebonics, with a ghetto Cajun flavor does take some getting used to.

On the other hand....

We have an illegal alien problem, which is generally caused by poor inforcement and the fact employers want workers cheap.

We have about 1.8 million homeless as a result of Katrina.

Pass a law, that any employer that hires a refugee (and an ID card must be provided to prove it) will get to deduct their entire wage costs, insurance, medical, training and so forth from the net taxes they have to pay each quarter, for the next 5 yrs.

This will encourage the employer to hire the refugees, which puts them to work, will encourage the employer to train them and turn those people into skilled workers.

This means that they get them as FREE workers, because their costs are deducted from their taxes. The illegal aliens will be fired virtually over night, and will be forced to leave the country simply because of lack of work.

The refugees will become trained, have an income not involveing welfare and will be able to buy or rent their own homes..homes vacated by the illegals.

Two birds with one stone.

No..dont thank me. Just send me a grant to study the social dynamics as poor southern blacks are introduced to Northeastern Blueneck Liberal Racists and are intergrated into your society.

Perhaps Sen KKK Byrd might like a few of the High Yeller ones as housekeepers?

Gunner

Gunner

These are not stupid blacks, they have had public education and would be considered college graduates in Africa. We could send them to dry areas in Africa where they wood never fear water again and culturally enrich Africa in the process.

Reply to
Nick Hull

StatHaldol wrote in article ... This would be a good opportunity for

Let me know when Sen. Kennedy contacts the Hyannis, Mass. school department about housing 1000 refugees in the Hyannis High School gymnasium.......

Reply to
*

You need to listen in better places. Here in Jersey the cost of processing a unit for transfusion (blood is processed in units of about a pint)is about $128. The HIV/hepatitus/VD screening alone is about $35.

You may find it edifying to look here:

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I suppose you were given these numbers along with your hospital bill?

Reply to
Chris

I have a very good friend in the blood and guts business. But Google can provide you the same numbers.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I have no doubt that this is what the highly inefficient Red Cross is claiming. It is just that a number that they claim to be spending. Than again a monopoly can say whatever they want, hospitals have no real choice.

Reply to
Chris

Yes they do Chris, or rather, their patients do if it isn't an emergency. You can always BYOB if you have the time. I delayed a surgery until I could use my own blood - 8 units including the reserve budgeted for unexpected complications. This was after Liz Dole took over management of the blood bank but before it was widely known what her management practices were. After infecting an killing a bunch of people they threw out every unit on hand and started over. Mrs. Dole declared victory and ran for an open spot in the US Senate where she can be found today. The Red Cross OTOH continues to provide contaminated blood and blood products to this day, the extent and degree have, however, changed for the better.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

John, Good for you. Never thought of it in a non-emergency situation. Given the $160 a pint going rate (guesstimate) that the RC is charging the hospitals and the 100% markup (at least) that the hospitals out on it, I figure you saved the insurance company $2880. You should send them a bill.

The RC would be the 14th highest profit margin company, if ranked along with the Fortune 1000.

Reply to
Chris

You are apparently under the misapprehension that all blood comes from the Red Cross. There are a lot of blood banks out there. The Red Cross operates only some of them. If you had bothered to look at the link I posted you might have noticed that it led to the American Association of Blood Banks. If the Red Cross controlled the business, there would be no need for the orginization. If you looked a little further into the site, you would have found some of the steps that take place before the red bag is plugged into your arm. You may prefer that some of the steps in the process be eliminated, but most people want to reduce the risk that the bag of blood will kill them.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Which one..Kerry or Clinton?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

My son had a kidney removed when he was 15. We saved up 5 pints of his blood, and the blood bank charged us a $250 handling fee per pint, and the surgeons never did use any of it. We asked that it be put into the blood donation program..but they had destroyed it by then.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:18:02 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner clearly indicated:

Plonk! Plonk! Fizz! Fizz! OH, what a relief it is!

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You've obviously got your mind made up already, and won't be swayed by facts. Whatever... enjoy living in whatever world you're in, and don't let actual data have any risk of changing your mind, whatever you do.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Finlanders buy Canadian beer, unlikely.

Finlander UP Joke:

"Speaking of those steam baths, did you hear that story they tell of the Finnish G.I. who was captured by some cannibals in the Philippines? They put him in a big pot to boil and left him there about six hours. Then the cannibal chief lifts up the cover, and the Finn sticks out his head and says, "What blace is de switches and towel?"

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup