Why Are Stainless Steel Chips Bad?

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:
"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"
My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?
Reply to
Jim Newell
Very often they come off the lathe as one long continuos razor sharp and very hot strip. I use a pair of channel lock pliers to pull it off of the tool bit as I don't want to get my hand too close. One of my machine shop instructors lost the last joint off one of his fingers that way. I like having all my fingers even if I did nearly grind a couple off on a surface grinder. As the sargent on Hill Street Blues used to say "Be careful out there". 73 Gary
Reply to
Gary
A propensity to form nasty sharp splinters?
Reply to
Mike Henry
Machinist",
They react unfavorably with the French Onion dip ; )
Reply to
Rick
Its rough on the self esteem of the mild steel, or Short Bus, chips.
Gunner
Gunner Asch
Some guesses: 1) They are too crunchy to eat. 2) The temptation to use them as confetti is too strong. 3) The body cannot break them down if they are slivers under the skin.
Reply to
Clark Magnuson
Jim,
It could be something as simple as sellling scrap/chips whereas any stainless mixed in makes the lot 'worthless'.
Reply to
Ace
You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:15:32 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
Ach du liber, it has nothing to do mit self-esteem, but with the organization they belonged to! (Of course, it also depends on whether those were Waffle SS chips, or the other guys.)
I've never really understood this opposition to SS chips, my self. After all, they were the same chips issued to regular army units, just with a 'snazzy' package. Both were made from potatoes!
tschus pyotr
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Slightly ot but reminds me of an occurance way back in the days I ran a cnc lathe. Our boss was trying to get on the good side of a lady he was romancing and agreed to let her brother store and work on an old corvette he had purchaced. The words 'sleeze ball' come to mind here :-) Anyway, the car was a peice of crap, the frame was rusted out and the engine toast, and the only work he was doing on it revolved around adding various cheap aftermarket accessories (fuzy dice) etc. We happened to machining some SS on the MoriSeiki lathe at the time and we were getting these long spiral chips 4-5 ft long that looked liked shiny armoured cable. The idiot saw these in the scrap bin and asked if he could have a couple, I said sure and off he went to the back room where the car was. At break in the evening I went out to see what he was up to, He had taken the chips and put them over the coil and sparkplug wires :-) I said nothing and left before I fell down laffing. The inside of the chips was like a file and should not take to long to slice througn the wires. I told this to all the boys in the shop and we had a great chuckle for a couple of weeks. I am not sure if he ever got the car on the road and the boss got dumped by the girlfriend shortly after so we lost track of the events :-)
Ace wrote:
Reply to
machineman
Gee, last night I had to use some stainless steel to make rollers for a chip conveyor that spit out a roller or three. While it was not as nice to work with as the 12L14 we feed our index on a daily basis, it wasn't all that bad to work with on an engine lathe with HSS.
The parting tool liked to make nice long curlies but then since I was infeeding manually (3/4" rod), I just paused at times to break them away, same as when drilling on a DP. Back off and clear the curly. Go back at it.
Wes S
Reply to
clutch