Why Are Stainless Steel Chips Bad?

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist", the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Reply to
Jim Newell

Very often they come off the lathe as one long continuos razor sharp and very hot strip. I use a pair of channel lock pliers to pull it off of the tool bit as I don't want to get my hand too close. One of my machine shop instructors lost the last joint off one of his fingers that way. I like having all my fingers even if I did nearly grind a couple off on a surface grinder. As the sargent on Hill Street Blues used to say "Be careful out there". 73 Gary

Reply to
Gary

A propensity to form nasty sharp splinters?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Machinist",

They react unfavorably with the French Onion dip ; )

Reply to
Rick

Its rough on the self esteem of the mild steel, or Short Bus, chips.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Some guesses:

1) They are too crunchy to eat. 2) The temptation to use them as confetti is too strong. 3) The body cannot break them down if they are slivers under the skin.
Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Jim,

It could be something as simple as sellling scrap/chips whereas any stainless mixed in makes the lot 'worthless'.

Reply to
Ace

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Mon, 12 Dec

2005 09:15:32 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Ach du liber, it has nothing to do mit self-esteem, but with the organization they belonged to! (Of course, it also depends on whether those were Waffle SS chips, or the other guys.)

I've never really understood this opposition to SS chips, my self. After all, they were the same chips issued to regular army units, just with a 'snazzy' package. Both were made from potatoes!

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Reply to
machineman

Gee, last night I had to use some stainless steel to make rollers for a chip conveyor that spit out a roller or three. While it was not as nice to work with as the 12L14 we feed our index on a daily basis, it wasn't all that bad to work with on an engine lathe with HSS.

The parting tool liked to make nice long curlies but then since I was infeeding manually (3/4" rod), I just paused at times to break them away, same as when drilling on a DP. Back off and clear the curly. Go back at it.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch