Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

Aha! Well, I'll have to give that one a try. Even though my beard is almost all white now, and not quite as stiff as it once was, it's still hell on blades.
--
Ed Huntress

Salt.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Steve Lusardi wrote:

A proper shaving cream or soap will FAR outperform anything I've ever used from a can. As previously noted, I've gone retro and just started shaving with DE razors. Got some Proraso and a badger bristle shaving brush. GOOD stuff. Was just in Santa Cruz for a couple days, and used the Proraso, but brought cartridge razors for convenience. I'll say that the twin blade Sensor Excel gave a far better shave with the Proraso than I ever got with any other foam or gel. And I've tried bar soap too.
And while I'm commenting, let me rant on the Save-a-Blade. Actually that's what got me into DE shaving. Wasn't going to pay $19.95 for one, but saw one at a discount outlet for $5 and thought I'd give it a try. Mentioned buying it to my Aussie wife and she asked me to get several more as they were just introduced to Oz via TV and cost a bloody fortune. Discount store was out, so looked for them on Amazon and upon reading the reviews, learned few people have any luck with them. One review in particular touted the overall low cost of DE shaving, and that's what got me going in that direction, being a part-time cheapskate.... Anyway, I looked into the Save-a-Blade I'd bought. First attempts showed zero contact with the blade when inspecting with a microscope. But hadn't read the directions, and had the blade in the wrong position. Tried again, and found contact from the sandpaper along maybe 10% of the cutting edge of one blade after a good 10 second run. My reviews can be found on Amazon if you look up the Save-a-Blade. Piece of crap IMHO, though some reviewers do rave about it. Go figure...
Jon
Jon Anderson wrote:

I hear ya, Jon!
Ya'll pud knocker read this...
http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa /
Proper shaving has become a lost art. Todays average male has no clue about the fine art of the traditional wet shave that their grandfathers and some of their fathers used to take part in. Instead, theyre only accustomed to the cheap and disposable shaving products that companies market. Im not sure when or why it happened, but the tradition of passing down the secrets of a clean shave abruptly stopped. Thankfully, this glorious male ritual is making a comeback. Benefits of The Classic Wet Shave
Reduce costs. An 8 pack of your typical four blade cartridge razors can set you back over $20. $20! Thats $2.50 per cartridge. The cost of a double edged safety razor is no more than $.25. You can save some serious money switching over to a safety razor. Additionally, you can save money by using traditional shaving creams and soaps. A can of the chemically packed gel goop that most drug stores sell can cost you up to $5 a can and it doesnt even last that long and they dont give you a quality shave. On the other hand, traditional shave creams and soaps are made out of natural materials. While their up front cost may be a bit more than shaving gels, you require less product to get a proper lather. Thus, you end up saving more in the long run.
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /

Ivory bar soap applied with a badger brush. Hose out the razor with the WaterPic afterwards.
jsw

As I read these tips I remember a radio jingle for McCulloch chain saws, about a lumberjack who used one to shave his beard. <g>
They just don't make jingles like that anymore. It must have been around 1958.
--
Ed Huntress

"They don't make nun names like that no more!" (Song on Dr. Demento, back in the eighties.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I remember going on trips (sometimes as much as 60 miles, to Grandpa's) and reading the Burma-Shave jingles, one line on each signboard.
John B.

I still love those things.
--
Ed Huntress

Before or after you get all that water pic soap in your mouth?
I do think that rinsing out the blade, and hang the shaver to dry is a good idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You put soap in yours? Mine tastes like Jameson.
jsw
What's that Lassie? You say that snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT):

I've heard that if you dry them after use they last longer. I shake out my mach3 and prop it on edge. Seems to last longer.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

I find this to be true.
I wash the blade out with hot water, dry it by smacking against the heel of my palm, and store blades up, so water will pull away from the vulnerable edge. This greatly extends the lifetime of the razor, which implies that corrosion of the edge is the key issue.
As for Gillette, I suspect that they are herding their users. Each year, the blades get a little worse - they are cutting costs and performance by omitting steps one by one, to convince you to move to the latest and greatest.
Joe Gwinn
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I gave my double edged hande to a girlfriend who (was smarter than me?) wanted it.
And found they can't be bought any more.
Anybody got a spare???
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /

I think you can still buy them in here Thailand. At least every barber shop has the blades - they break them in half and put them in a "straight razor" sort of handle to shave around you ears.
The AIDS scare had at least one benefit - I now get shaved with a new blade :-)
John B.
cavelamb wrote:

Amazon has lots of razors, and there are many places that sell. I bought a Weishi on ebay, but once I'm more comfortable I'll try stepping up to a Merkur. Ebay has a fair selection of vintage used razors.
Jon
That's what Clark Howard (the radio talk guy) said on his show.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes. Keratin is tough stuff. Oils in your hair collect dirt and minerals, too.

Yes, as are your facial oils and sweat. And the steel is extremely thin, the edge very fine.

Dunno. I think steels have a finer crystalline structure for better edges. If they could make them, they'd be a whole lot pricier than carbon steels.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Used to use only blades. Now I use a Norelco electric. Does a good job as long as I use it daily.
Steve W.