Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

ISTR at one time reading that it is the water spots on razors which render them useless after a time. A suggestion was made to keep a used blade in solution of something or other (I want to say glycerin, maybe mineral oil) to keep them fresh.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Because you ared using junk razors.Try Schick razors with Wilkinson Sword blades.

I had the same problems with Gillettes,they would get dull in 2 weeks.I switched to Schick and they easily last 6 months, if not more.

Ignoramus8285

I was taught to "strop" the razor on my left palm (the right is reserved for other uses) before trying to cut facial hair.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Traditionally, the left hand is used (before toilet paper) to wipe your butt and thus one eats with the right hand.

Reply to
John B.

Yes, hair is somewhat abrasive, the water corrodes, and the blades are cheaply made and poorly sharpened.

Switch to a straight razor and keep it stropped. I used to do that but it became quicker and easier to go to a Norelco Triple Header. I don't have much facial hair at all, so it works fine for me. My straight razor is in my BugOutBag, fer sher. (Hmm, I'd best put the strop in there, too, hadn't I?)

For carbide blades, try the Satanley, but good luck shaving with your utility knife.

Larry Jaques

Toilet paper is cheap, if you know where to look...

PrecisionmachinisT