Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

(...)

Yup! I lather up and walk down the hall to boot up the computer. Returning to the bathroom, I'm ready for a close, nick - free shave. If I just start shaving, I can scratch myself up pretty good.

(...)

As a yout, I was getting only 2-3 shaves per Trac II cartridge even with aggressive rinsing. I ran a lot of water down the vents in the back of the cartridge, too. On inspection, I found that the 'vents' were completely blind and without function. I also found that the cartridge was loading up very quickly; the clogged shavings were holding the blade off my skin! I now clean my razor in an ultrasonic bath every day and average > 7 shaves per blade.

I was starting to panic when running low on my favorite 'unobtanium' Trac II cartridges until I stumbled across American Safety Razor Personna _TwinII Plus_ cartridges for cheap on eBay. (See item 350333133296)

They work just as good as the old name brand blades.

U$0.45 each, (delivered) and Made In U.S.A.!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yeah, much more pain-free here, too...

Hmm, I've never looked that closely, in fact I can't look that closely, anymore 8^(

Ha, another reason I should get me one of those cleaners, thanks!

Mike

Reply to
mike

Schick makes a two-blade razor with a push-thingy (technical term :-)) that lets you push the bits of beard out from between the blades. Works a treat.

-- Terry

Reply to
Terry

(...)

I never could! I have a nice lens salvaged from a scrapped page scanner. Made the beard chunks look like pencils, it did.

(...)

Shore. My Branson B200 still works well after about a decade. See eBay 360242033356 for example.

I just plop in the razor after shaving and press the 'go' button. It shuts itself off in a couple minutes. I just rinse the tank and refill every week or so. I don't even add any 'cleaner solution'.

Easy peasy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm happy with my buzz-thingamabob. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:48 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ditto my Norelco buzz-thingamabob. I spend 30 seconds shaving each morning. ;) I don't have much of a bushy face, though.

I think I quit with the straight razor because it took so long, but that was decades ago and I had very little fur then, too.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would be my ultrasonic cleaner, dontcha know.

I owned a couple of them Norelcos.

Didn't have much luck getting a close enough shave.

Course, I get a 5 O'clock shadow at 1:30 PM so perhaps I asked too much of them...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I had a look, also did a froogle-google search, I hadn't realized the prices were becoming so affordable.

Just wondering , is the capacity, both volume and wattage, suitable for most anything you've wanted to use it for?

Any caveats on what brands to avoid? I see HF Tools has a 2.5 liter one on sale for $80, which I think has been discussed here before, I wonder if anyone has used it, and is there any good reason to go with a bigger capacity such as that one (item 95563), or a good reason to steer clear of it rather than become the 'product tester' myself: or, is that much more volume overkill - I know, I know, that's one of those ?'s that may warrant an answer such as 'well, it depends...', just thought I'd ask ...)

Definitely sounds like a handy thing to have around.

Reply to
mike

Most anything, yes. Occasionally I get a gunky part that begs for the ultrasound treatment but is much too big for the little B200. Sometimes I lean it in anyway and do just a section at a time.

It is just like most any tool. A month after I buy one, I wonder why I didn't get the bigger one in the first place!

Doubtless someone will pipe up with other recommendations and advice. I've exhausted my knowledge on the subject. That never takes too long!

That it is.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:47:24 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

You forgot to spend 3 minutes shaving at lunch is all. I'm sure glad I don't have YOUR beard. Salt and Pepper peach fuzz suits me better.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, but I do it to the multi-blade disposables---sorry, I wasn't clear about it in my original quote. I never used a straight razor, and I think it's too late to start now :)

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

Aha! Well, I'll have to give that one a try. Even though my beard is almost all white now, and not quite as stiff as it once was, it's still hell on blades.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I hadn't noticed until recently that the "straight razor" my barber uses on the back of my neck near the end of a haircut visit isn't what I remember from the olde daze, it looks the same from a distance, but it has replaceable blades which slide into a metal spine. No more do I see the barbers stropping with a flair.

(Anybody here remember when a "singe" was a fairly standard part of a man's haircut. The barber would lift up bunches of your hair with a comb while using the flame from a skinny taper (candle) to burn off any split ends.)

I started shaving about 60 years ago using a "safety razor" and double edged Gillette "Blue Blades" until the first Wilkenson Sword stainless steel blades landed on this side of the pond in limited quantities. I remember how guys scurried to obtain them so they could proudly claim to be one of the first using them.

Back then there was info being bandied around that you could "hone" the edges of those double edged safety razor blades by sweeping them around the curved inner surface of a drinking glass. I tried it a couple of times but never noticed any improvement.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I have one of those, too. But they take all the fun out of it, so I never use it.

I remember seeing it but not having it done to me.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

hey jeff, haven't seen you post in a while. hope everything's ok. i went to china in '86. it's a time warp being there. or, it was a time warp. they didn't have (as far as i know/knew) disposable razors there. i had to buy a double edge safety razor to use while i was there. i think they were blue blades, individually wrapped in waxed paper, really made me feel like i had traveled back in time. it was fun to be like (however many) years back in time. the brand of double edge razor they sold there was called "Rhino", their logo was a rhinoceros with a double edge safety razor plunging through him and slicing him in half. was kinda a odd logo as far as i was concerned. knida gross.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Jeff, I wear a beard and use an old straight razor to keep things weed eaten down, but I too remember and started with the double edge system. I went to the Schick injector blades - in fact still have them.

Double edge blades must have been very costly back when. My dad -

90 this year- has collected shaving memorabilia. He has over 27 different machines made for sharpening/honing double edge blades. 28+ if you count a glass.
Reply to
DanG

More like during wartime rationing made many things harder to find -- including razor blades. And the military (which *demanded* a clean shave had similar problems). My uncle (who was a pilot on the Forrestal (or some earlier carrier) about Korean war days) showed me that trick with a glass.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have a couple of those "Infinity razors" that were being sold a couple of years ago. They are supposed to last for life. I've not gotten around to using them, but from what I've read they are dull to begin with. So the duller they are, the more difficult it is to make them duller. So if you are that one in one hundred that these work for you're in luck. :-)

But for the past five or six years I've been using the Atra cartridges because I bought about 30 packs at a store that was discontinuing them. I still have quite a few more to go. :-)

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

One further hint when storing the razor store it with the sharp edge up, water or moisture will not accumulate on the edge and corrode it. That makes a noticeable difference to me.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"Never argue with the ignorant. They can't tell when you've won."

Reply to
KG

You could always be a real man and grow a beard. THEN your blades last months because all you use it for is shaping the edges. Until then, enjoy the hassle of daily shaving.

(To avoid the accusations of trolling, this was said in good fun. Don't misinterpret my intent with the wrong tone.)

Reply to
mecookyoueat