Why you should buy "Sioux tools" airtools

I forgot if I shared this story from three years ago. It still is very fresh in my memory.

Three years ago, I sold a completely unremarkable, used and beat up, but working, "Sioux tools" air grinder on ebay. The buyer's email address indicated that he is with Sioux tools. After he left me a positive, I asked him, how come he bought this really old tool, when they make new ones?

His answer floored me. He said that they occasionally buy old tools on purpose, to evaluate how they wear, what parts and bits in them need improvements to last longer for their future versions, etc.

This is so unusual.

The usual attitude, nowadays, is that if the tool lasts beyond the three month warranty period, everything is great. Apparently, Sioux tools does not think so and wants their toold to last forever.

Ignoramus12605

I know someone else who does this...

If you are not moving forward, you are being eroded by all around you that is - including your competitors.

Reply to
Joe "Dufu"

Sioux Tool is one of the old line American tool companies that actually cared about turning out a quality product that would last a generation. I have several, including a bench grinder, that I never think about..but simply use.

Unfortunately...they are a rareity these days...most of their competition having offshored long ago.

I work on 50 yr old American, and German (and to a smaller number.) English machinery that are still cranking out quality parts. The Japs make good quality machines as well..but dont have the long long term manufacturing years in the US as the above 3 do.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

We do this and also we purchase and evaluate our competor's products as soon as they are introduced to the market.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Joe has an Excellent reputation in the industry.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Ignoramus12605" wrote in message news:9rednaKAsoeJYfLPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

The odd part of that story is that their repair department should have all that data. When I've fixed field returns the front office tabulated and analyzed the reasons for failure.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Subject: Re: Why you should buy "Sioux tools" airtools Newsgroups: earthlink:rec.crafts.metalworking To: Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:l4pcfk$i5n $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No, not at all. NObody has "all the data", ever. Seeking out old, worn tools is the best way to make sure they're as up-to-date as possible.

Maybe the tool was older than any they'd collected to-date. Maybe they wanted to compare it to others of the same age, to confirm the data they'd already collected. More information is never bad, unless you don't know what to do with it.

Proactive research like that is less expensive than warantee repairs, every time.

It's not odd, at all. It's called Q.C. What's odd, is, they're one of the few who still do it!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I've heard that Beckett, the company that makes circulating pumps for hot water heat, has been in business since, maybe the fifties. Parts are interchangable, since the first pump they made to the most recent ones.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The call center folks take the cause of return, but the repairs dept get to the -real- reason it was returned. It's usually not the same reason. Along another route, it could even be a new Repairs manager getting his hand in and making his play for the boss' approval. Who knows?

Whatever the reason, it's a Good Thing, don't you agree?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Henry Ford is said to have sent his engineers out to scrap yards to buy old Fords. They would inspect the parts to see what was worn out and what wasn't. The idea was to determine which parts were lasting longer than they needed to, so they could be redesigned to be made cheaper.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

My guess is that the repairmen hate paperwork and haven't recorded and passed on their experience. The equipment I fixed was electronic so I didn't have to wash greasy hands to write down what I found.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I always did. But repairmen now wear _gloves_ when working on greasy things. Imagine that! Back in the day, we never even thought of wearing gloves unless something was too hot to handle without them. Like installing air conditioning compressors on a tuck which just drove in out of the 120F Phoenix sun. (BTDT for a summer and hated it. With the hot engines, the shop never dropped below

105F. No wonder they couldn't keep people.)

I think the phone guys just write what the unknowledgeable customer passes on, or write what's easiest for them. If my recollector recollects correctly, it remembers that most of the repairmen were conscientious in writing down their findings, though some were pretty sparse in their writing.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I deal with utility repairmen I drop some insider tech term like dBm, 48V or 19.9 Kilovolt, then they switch from giving me BS to useful help, such as "I removed a bridge tap and a short to ground", or "We'll give you a midspan drop".

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, speaking the language makes it a whole lot easier to get meaningful info from them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So you would not say that they are not Apache on Ingersoll? Sorry could not resist. Will now retire away from the flames...

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Worked in a plastics factory for six years. Dozens and dozens of the $10 to $15 Harbor Freight die grinders. (Owner was a bit cheap...) While some broke while new, amazingly many of them ran for *years* on wet nasty unfiltered air with only occasional oiling.

What they all lacked was the power to take a heavy cut. The lone Sioux in the plant was passed around constantly for heavy cuts and it too survived on unfiltered compressed air. Sioux makes good stuff! Wish I could afford to buy a dozen:-(

Reply to
William Bagwell

Thanks for the field report. Glad to hear some thing actually works.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon