work hardening in brass

carburettors
found
That's a good mom. Do you suppose they still make them like that?
-- Ed Huntress

our
By contrast, when I took my class in electricity in high school, the first thing the teacher taught us was to ground washing machines----obviously at a time before the ground wire was an integral part of typical wiring (back in '55, it was), and death by electrocution while washing wasn't exactly unheard of.
First thing I did when I got home was run a ground wire to an overhead water pipe and connect it to the washer. My mother went to her grave secure in the knowledge that I had tried to kill her by electrocution, and no amount of explaining what the wire was for changed her mind. She refused to wash clothes until the wire was removed. Ignorance, and lack of trust in one's offspring, can create some very bad memories.
Harold

in
water
in
one's
Jeez, she thought you were trying to kill her? I locked my mom in the basement once, when I was 7 and she was being particularly churlish one day, but she would have stuck her fingers in a socket if I asked her to give me a hand with my electricity project. <g>
-- Ed Huntress

first
at
secure
amount
wash
day,
You're a lucky man, Ed. Things between me and my mother deteriorated quite badly at the end, so much so that I no longer spoke to her. Mind you, I'd have much rather had a loving relationship with her, but that was not to be. I have no doubt that she formed the part of my personality that makes me less than fun to know. Some things are hard to overcome.
Harold

quite
I'd
be.
I'm sorry to hear that, Howard. Yes, I've been very fortunate.
But, heck, I think you're fun to know. I might not feel that way if I was a cat, but you're just fine with humans. <g>
-- Ed Huntress

Thanks, Ed. I appreciate that very kind comment. (Just don't show up on Halloween dressed as a cat! <g>)
Something funny, Ed. My ex is now married to a guy named Howard. (I'm Harold). He's a great guy and doesn't deserve her. No offense taken, Ed. I answer to many things, especially the dinner bell. :-)
Harold

Ed.
Jeez, did my fingers do that? When I type too fast I sometimes go on autopilot. Sorry about that.
-- Ed Huntress

(I'm
Hey, no problem. You're lucky. When my fingers do that, it usually can't be read.
If you don't mind, I'd like to brag a bit about my prowess on the keyboard. I have worked feverishly at getting me speed up and am now proud to proclaim that I have my errors up to something like 60/minute. And some folks say nothing good comes from these news groups! :-)
Harold

taken,
be
keyboard.
proclaim
Hey, that's why they created spell-chuckers.
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

I remember Mom had a Bendix washer. The plug was a 2 wire with a circuit breaker inside the plug. It would flip a plastic lever and push itself out of the socket.
Insulation shorts in motors and switches were the dangers. Varnishes used for insulation had yet to be great as it is today. This is how motor repair people can wind more HP into a frame of old motors since the old varnish is so thick.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

first
at
secure
amount
wash
day,
me a

breaker
socket.
for insulation

wind more HP

I also understand that the varnish (for lack of better description) used today will withstand a much higher temperature, so motors run hotter as well. No doubt a result of pulling more power out of a small motor.
Harold
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

The insulation dope has a much higher voltage insulation per unit thickness. So the overall wire diameter of insulated wire is much thinner. The copper is cleaner or of a higher quality and that allows more current. When Current and Turns increase - wow! Yes - the early stuff was dark and brittle. And sometimes silk covered. Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:33:47 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

I locked my mom outside on the front porch of the house 3 blocks from the Student Union at Michigan Tech. Nude or nearly so and in Febuary at 6:30 am. Then got scared because of her frantic poundings and went and hid in the basement. I was told I was 3 at the time. It used to get brought up at family gatherings....
Gunner

day,
me a

I wonder why we thought that locking our moms out would solve anything. Even then, we knew we'd have to let them back in eventually.
Anyway, you've contributed to the family's store of legends, Gunner. No one will ever forgive you for it. <g>
-- Ed Huntress
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:30:08 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

Mom, God rest her soul...never forgave me for it either... sigh...
Gunner

It works both ways Harold. See my comment above about the screwdriver welded into the outlet box in our basement.
I *told* him to turn off the circuit breaker. The former house owner had switched the outlet - on the neutral side.
To his credit my dad listened to every single work I've ever uttered about electricity, after that fateful day.
Jim
please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Wow! Some people really should leave things to others that are qualified. As dumb as I am, I know better than to do that.

Chuckle! Can't imagine why!
Harold

Well in his defense he was a fairly new home-owner. I think I was about 8 at the time, which meant we were in the house 7 years. It was his first and it was kind of tough for him to deal with all the sub-systems. He's not terribly mechanically inclined, but he does have a phd in the biological sciences.
He's actually gotten a good deal more skilled at home-ownership as the years have gone by.
Jim
please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos says...

qualified.
Oh, not your dad, Jim. The former owner! Switching the neutral!
I recall asking if I could leave our boat at a filling station once, while we were headed for Lake Powell. We had to attend a wedding in Price, Utah, which was on the way, so we would have several hours layover, and the refrigerator, which ran on batteries, would kill them. By plugging in, the refrigerator would run on line voltage. Someone had wired the receptacle that knew zip about wiring, and it, too, was wired in reverse. I had to rewire it before it would work properly. Some things are best left to those with knowledge.
Harold

I've got one, and she can shoot very well (wall of trophies to prove it) also. I found out that the line is drawn somewhere shy of using the oven as a temperature-controlled heat chamber for annealing metal, though. Also irrational about "the good scissors".
Bought her a chainsaw for her 50th birthday...