work hardening in brass

for insulation

I also understand that the varnish (for lack of better description) used today will withstand a much higher temperature, so motors run hotter as well. No doubt a result of pulling more power out of a small motor.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I locked my mom outside on the front porch of the house 3 blocks from the Student Union at Michigan Tech. Nude or nearly so and in Febuary at 6:30 am. Then got scared because of her frantic poundings and went and hid in the basement. I was told I was 3 at the time. It used to get brought up at family gatherings....

Gunner

Gunner

Well in his defense he was a fairly new home-owner. I think I was about 8 at the time, which meant we were in the house 7 years. It was his first and it was kind of tough for him to deal with all the sub-systems. He's not terribly mechanically inclined, but he does have a phd in the biological sciences.

He's actually gotten a good deal more skilled at home-ownership as the years have gone by.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I wonder why we thought that locking our moms out would solve anything. Even then, we knew we'd have to let them back in eventually.

Anyway, you've contributed to the family's store of legends, Gunner. No one will ever forgive you for it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Mom, God rest her soul...never forgave me for it either... sigh...

Gunner

Gunner

Oh, not your dad, Jim. The former owner! Switching the neutral!

I recall asking if I could leave our boat at a filling station once, while we were headed for Lake Powell. We had to attend a wedding in Price, Utah, which was on the way, so we would have several hours layover, and the refrigerator, which ran on batteries, would kill them. By plugging in, the refrigerator would run on line voltage. Someone had wired the receptacle that knew zip about wiring, and it, too, was wired in reverse. I had to rewire it before it would work properly. Some things are best left to those with knowledge.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:ATCOd.3478$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

At the shipbuilding place I worked at back in the 70s we had a round double walled container that was insulated with a air tight door, kept the rods (mostly 7013) nice and warm and dry... Thinking back, I think there was probably heat coils in the walls of the container but I know for sure there was a lightbulb on every time it opened.

Reply to
notreallyme

I used to work in The Fiji Islands. relative humidity was often over 90%, I bought a small (non-working) bar fridge,and put a couple of 100 watt light bulbs in the bottom of it. We kept all our welding rods in it with good results. Cost? One box of Fiji Bitter. ( I worked for the brewery.)

Reply to
Tom Miller

The insulation dope has a much higher voltage insulation per unit thickness. So the overall wire diameter of insulated wire is much thinner. The copper is cleaner or of a higher quality and that allows more current. When Current and Turns increase

- wow! Yes - the early stuff was dark and brittle. And sometimes silk covered. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn