Woth getting this SB9 running again?

I came into an SB9 Model B (changegears and power X-feed) underdrive type with a couple chucks last year for $90. Just the lathe, no drive, stand, etc. Sat in the basement for a while before I started tearing into it.

So now I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting it going again. Missing a part here and there, needs the drive assy, gear sets, repainting, the oiler felts and springs are missing, and the rear spindle bearing surface has a little scoring. Spindle bearings also probably need reshimming. I haven't used real lathes enough to say if the bedwear is bad or good, but it has a pretty good ridge near the headstock.

So, what do you guys think? Is there any place I can get the parts cheaply enough (assuming I can't scrounge them up locally) to warrant it? eBay's the big option but I'd be into this thing for quite a few $$ before I knew how well it runs.

I'm also considering parting it out, but I want a real lathe and they're hard to find cheap around here.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

John...perfectly honest about it...I think Id part it out on Ebay, and find another lathe. Where are you located?

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Eastern MA. Not a lot of small machinery around here that I've found so far. Actually did see an entire, perfect condition high school metal and wood shop (mills, lathes, welders, saws, etc) go for around $1500, but I was too late.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Unless he had a local source of 9" parts, *and* the bed was in really good condition, I would have to agree. Some of it won't sell at all, I suspect the bed won't.

If it were me, I'd put reasonable buy-it-now prices on things that he knows will sell, like the tailstock, feedscrew/nut/dial/handle combinations, and change gears. I suspect somebody would buy the tailstock alone for $90.

It sounds like (though I cannot be sure) that this is one of the more modern 9" bench lathes, with underneath drive, a sheet metal base, and a fully covered headstock. If it were the one that took the cast iron base - like a tiny 10L - then I might think twice, because a call to sobels might be able to procure a base and drive for it. Come to think of it, he *might* know where there's a base and cabinet for the more modern one. He probably just scraps those.

Jim

jim rozen

I picked up a 9" last month for $200.00 All in good shape.

It needed painting. Looking at the cost of parts on ebay you would spend more than it is worth. Also collets (Which I need) and other goodies are big bucks for the 9". It is not that big/heavy of a machine so you are limited as to what it can do. I live in CT so I am very close to you. If you go to
you might find a good deal. Let me know if your getting rid of the lathe I might want it or parts.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

John, check out the ads in the Uncle Henry's Weekly Swap It or Sell It Guide. You have to be patient but I see some pretty good deals on machines in the upper right hand corner (aka New England) every once in awhile.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like we have some eBay fodder here. I'll also expand my bargain hunting frontiers.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

If you strip it to the bed, I'd be willing to buy a foot of the bed (including feet, if you please) for $15. I have my reasons ..

Grant

To email me, please see http://www.t> Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like we have some eBay fodder here. I'll

Reply to
Grant Erwin

A foot of the bed, as in linear length? Hmm, I don't think I could get my Porta-Band around this thing.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Reply to
Grant Erwin

If it comes to that, I'll see what I can do. I do have a gas-powered demo saw around here somewhere.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4