Wrenching GM brake pins

The one wrench moment that stands out in my mind. Friend of mine has a Buick station wagon. Wanted to do front brakes. Well, the pins for the calipers are rotted on. I ended up slotting them with a dremel. Try a big screw driver. No joy. Finally angled the slot, and beat the screw end with a hammer and cold chisel. Still no joy. Put a torch behind the caliper, and heated the thread part, and it came loose.

Someday I want to take an impact socket, about the size of the bolt head. Grind it down into the shape of a one way screw, like you see in the bathrooms. I can then slot and angle the tip of the bolt, and the wrench tip will match up with that. Allow me to use impact wrench on the GM brake pin.

Anyone done this?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seems to me you answered your own question. Torch it first perhaps give it a shot of PB Blaster let it soak and then hive it heat.

Then remember the anti-seize putting the suckers back together.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Or get a Ford. No pins to mess with, knock one key out and the caliper is loose(some have two keys). Takes about 5 minutes to change pads, longest time is spent jacking the piston back in.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On my 2001 Ranger..remove (2) 15mm bolts from the back of the caliper..and the thing comes off in your hand. Jack the pistons (2) back in with a large pair of Channel locks, put antiseize on the two bridge pins and stick it back on after setting the pads in place. Takes less than 5 minutes..probably closer to 3 if you have an air wrench.

Did both the Ranger and the exes Saturn yesterday afternoon in about 1.5 hours total..fronts AND rears. 8 wheels.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Or buy a set of bolt out extractor sockets. They don't care about rust or rounded bolt heads...

Also the easy way to break GM pins loose is to strike the head straight on with a good hammer. Usually that shock is enough to break the rust free.

Reply to
Steve W.

My 96 Blazer had allen head bolts.

Reply to
Bill McKee

As did/do my '84 LeSabre, '86 Suburban, '96 Roadmaster, '96 and '99 Saturns, and my son's '96 Firebird. Don't remember what the '78 Cutlass had...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Depends on the make/model. Some are standard bolts, some allen, some torx. Others use a single or dual pin to retain the pads and there are even a few with just clips.

Reply to
Steve W.