Write Erase Boards

I have been using a write eras board behind me in my office to keep track of custom and stock jobs. The board is full so I decided to replace it with two separate boards with a magnetic backer to better keep track of jobs.

I have to put up two new jobs boards. A longer one just for custom work > (the old one is full), and a separate one for stock design cuts. I > painted lines and titles on them yesterday. (I also placed a new > milling machine yesterday.) Today they will get hung up in my office. I > currently have a single jobs board with custom work on one side and > stock cuts on the other. Its full and there are jobs not yet on the > board. I have to admit I miss the old 4x8 jobs board I had in my office > on Ave C. I also went with magnetic boards this time so I can just move > the marker to the next job on the board instead of having to rewrite it > periodically. I am at 14-16 weeks prepaid custom work right now.

Ok, this is your opportunity to laugh, shake your head, and be judgmental. Those dry erase jobs boards I painted yesterday had protective plastic film on them. All my lines and labeling peeled right off.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
<snip>

At least you didn't find out the new markers are indelible ink and can't be erased ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The lines and labels did go on with indelible markers... or so I thought. LOL. I use the GPX Xylene markers for that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On 3/21/2021 10:12 AM, Bob La Londe wrote: > On 3/21/2021 10:00 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: >> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 09:45:48 -0700 >> Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote: >>

FB Vid Link

Bob La Londe
<snip>

Well... It looked way, way faster than using an eraser to clear the board off. And not even a tiny smudge afterwards ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Not laughing at you Bob!! Laughing with you!!

In a past life I was a Maintenance Supervisor for a plastic company. I had a 4'x3' Magnetic Board on my office wall. Had all the major equipment listed down the left side with Months and Weeks across the top. Then with small magnetic chips in color for the various Maintenance events such as Annuals, Semi Annuals, Monthly, Weekly, Daily's across the board so it was known what was on schedule that needed to be done each week. A very useful tool for the department!!

I left the employment to start my business, the company got bought by another and eventually the place was shutdown and all equipment was moved to another part of the state. The building was put up for sale and was bought by a local custom machine shop about 20 years after I left the place.

One day I was driving by and noticed the SOLD sign on the front and the dock doors were open. New owner was moving in!! I thought it would be nice to just do a walk-thru of the old place that I worked in 20 years before for 14 years of my life.

Soooooo I walked in and no one was in sight. I walked further into the building and heard some machine running further in. I walked towards the sound. There was this guy running a floor scrubber in the old production area. I walked over and introduced myself and told him that I use to work there and would like to just have a look around. He asked what my business was I said I owned a security company. He said, well already have a quote on a security system, if you want to give me one as well we could talk. I said that this was not a sales call!! He said, no problem, just give me a quote. OK!!

I continued my "Self Guided" tour. Went to my old office. And there on the wall was my Magnetic Planned Maintenance Schedule Board still hanging on the wall with all the little colored Maintenance Tabs in place!!

Ended up getting a New Customer and that board is still on that wall!!

As for the building itself there are places that I left my mark, initials with dates in concrete and walls. Even to the point that in the old compressor room is a 1-1/2" Steel Angle frame on the wall to support a set of cooling fans that I built. Assembled with my very first stick welding job. The welds looks like hell, but, still together and functional now going on 46 years!!

BTW my stick welding had improved, especially after taking my first Vo-Tech welding course about 3 years later.

Memories!!! Memories!!!

So Bob, I hope your Magnetic Schedule Board serves you well into the future!!

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

It looks like a shipping scuff protection film, and not the actual dry-erase surface.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

when SWMBO makes that error, I can usually scrub it off with paint thinner.

Reply to
Gerry

when SWMBO makes that error, I can usually scrub it off with paint thinner.

My first choice of cleaning solvent is 91% isopropyl alcohol because it's less likely than acetone, paint or lacquer thinner to cause damage.

Ronsonol bottles are convenient dispensers that can be refilled with mineral spirits, naphtha or Coleman fuel, all of which are purified aliphatic hydrocarbons similar to lighter fluid.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Alternative - cork-board with lots of small tabs of paper pinned on. Cut letter paper into about 8 equal pieces. In use - one topic per "tab", dated. Move around as makes sense of work flow. Done jobs - can multi-stack under one "done" pin.

Reply to
Richard Smith