Yard sale Gloat

Scored a Champion No. 101 post drill at a yard sale yesterday, $65 and in really pristine condition. Not sure if the gray paint is original, but it's mostly there. No significant wear on any of the gears, virtually no rust. Wanted one of these things for a long long time. Now I just need a post to mount it on...

BTW, seems to me that this would offer pretty much the same capabilities of the Cole drill with respect to slow speed drilling through tough materials, just not portable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Pictures?

Reply to
Wes

First time using Picasa, hope that works...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Awesome drill. I hate you!

Ignoramus7937

That's the kind of tool that just looks classy sitting there doing nothing, and never having to drill a hole. What did you pay?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You got a deal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, I have to agree with that! Paid $65. I've seen them cheaper, but beat to hell with missing or broken parts. Have also seen them a lot more expensive, and in not very good condition. This one is in by far, the best condition I've seen anywhere.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

It looks almost unused. An old friend of mine had one that he had powered with an electric motor. He made some attachments for the flywheel that captured a v-belt so it ran on the OD of the flywheel. The ratio between the flywheel OD and a small pulley on the motor worked out well.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:17:16 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson scrawled the following:

Yeah, pricy, but YOU SUCK!

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd take that puppy, clean it up, and never use it. But that's just me.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Jon, as the owner of a smallish 40 lb blacksmith leg vise, I highly recommend getting one, especially if you need a vise to hold something that you pound on.

Ignoramus8004

Given I have two mills and a drill press, it's not likely to see very much use. I think it'll do what a Cole drill press will do with respect to very low speed drilling with positive feed, just not portable. So yeah, clean it up real nice and mostly admire it. Folks that sold it had a couple massive blacksmith vises too, and will be running another sale fairly soon, I think I'm going to bag one of those too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I had one years ago but sold it, as it was really very worn, even for an antique blacksmith vise. Both I saw at the sale are larger and in much better condition, though not nearly as 'new' as the drill press.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Sometimes, like a beautiful woman, "stuff" looks good just sittin' there doing nothing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And staying silent

Reply to
Ignoramus8004

Ahhhh. There would have been many a perfect situation if they just wouldn't have opened that yap! How is it that a beautiful woman can turn from luscious to revolting with one sentence? I love the line in Urban Cowboy when she tells Travolta? "Just don't talk and we'll have a good time." Or something like that.

Steve BTDT

Reply to
SteveB

Congrats on the post drill Jon. They are impressive primitative machines. I bought one several years ago, just because I had to experience/know how well they worked, and I was surprised how well it drilled through some steel barstock.

The post drills were very popular catalog order items for rural folks, going back to the late 1800s. They're not quite as effective as a Cole Drill, since the table isn't rigidly secured to the drill head (as far as any that I've seen), but the post drills are very versatile tools for metal and wood.

Many of the working parts on your model look identical to the parts on mine, except that there is a handle mount on the flywheel hub on mine, adding a higher torque "back gear" drive feature. My model has no manufacturer's marks, and at least a couple of coats of paint on it, so if there had been a decal or other label, it's most likely gone now.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Coooool!!! Well done Sir!!! Very well done for finding and recognizing it!!!

Bravo!!

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

I quit going to yard sales. On the rare occasion I find something good they always want more than a brand freaking new one. I quit selling at yard sales too. Ask $20 for something worth $100, and folks want it for 50¢.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Awesome. Most people would not know what it is. It takes an agile mind to find stuff like that.

Ignoramus11822