yet another noob lathe question

So the levelling is coming along nicely. Now I would like to strip my 3 jaw chuck for cleaning and Google wasn't much help. Is this something I should be doing or are there hidden problems? How to I remove the cam-lock plate from the back of the chuck? Thanks again Stuart

Reply to
stu

If you don't HAVE to remove it, and it's running true---leave it alone.

Reply to
Buerste

I'm sure it depends on the design of the chuck, and possibly your ability to disassemble and reassemble it EXACTLY as it was, but odds would lean toward cleaning as is.

Can you flood it in a parts tank while working the screw? Perhaps submerge it? I would try that first.

But if you do disassemble it, be sure to carefully mark everything so you can reassemble it as precisely as possible.

If you flood and or submerge it, stand to the side the first time you spin it up.

Reply to
Tim

I see your point and if the scroll looked clean I would happily leave it alone. But it doesn't look very clean in there. If the good people in here think I should just do a cleaning job through the jaw slots then I'll do that. But what I don't want to happen is in 12 months to have in not running true and be told "you should have cleaned it properly 12 months a go"

Reply to
stu

Go for it. It'll be good for the chuck and you'll gain knowledge.

Reply to
Buerste

Assuming that you can take the chuck apart and re-assemble it the same way you can't damage it, or effect its accuracy. If you can't re-assembly it correctly then don't take it apart.

On the same subject you should not consider any chuck as accurate - perfectly accurate that is. Certainly you can indicate a part and have it run true but to just chuck a piece and think it is going to run true will cause you untold problems as time goes by.

Better to treat the chuck as inaccurate and always use a slightly oversize piece of stock and after the first cut never remove it from the chuck until it is finished.

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce In Bangkok

Doing that now. Its wasn't exatly spotless in there and the screws on the back cover were loose.

Yes I know that it won't be able to repeatably centre.

Will do

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
stu

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi Stu - meant to reply to your initial post, but couldn't find the right link to send you.

it is

very good - but to be honest, starting from scratch, its taken me about 3 years before I could figure out what he was talking about!. If your in OZ, Melbourne, msg off line for a further yack.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
VK3BFA