Yield strength question

--Pulling with one end in vise and the other held with vise grips no workee. Bought a slide hammer today and will try that later; gotta take SWMBO to the market first, sigh..

Reply to
steamer

I'm going to predict the slide hammer will only work with relatively short pieces of wire. Consider that until the wire reaches its yield it acts like a spring. The longer the wire, the more displacement required before reaching yield; in response to an impulse a long wire will stretch elastically, then resume its original shape. At best, inertia may work in your favor to straighten a short section of the wire adjacent to the slider.

Let us know what happens, I've stuck my neck out and wouldn't mind having it lopped off in the name of progress.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks for the comment & fix. That's what I meant. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs