Weapon steel question

I got a Remington Model 33 .22 cal. single shot, all original. My grandfather gave it to me when I was 8 years old, so that's ........ um ........ 56 years ago. I do not recall if it was new at that time.

The front sight is tweaked just a little. Do I take a hammer and hope for a good hit? A pair of vise grips, or another pliers that would hold on to it? Will it bend and break? Will it snap? Clamp in vise, and hit with suitable spare chunk of metal and a small ball peen? Is it brittle? It's just a tad out of whack. How would you fix it if it was yours?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Even russian guns don't deserve a direct hammer blow. They made need some file work though.

Can you straighten whatever is bent by sandwiching it between something like aluminum blocks and banging on them instead?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It is like most of the 22 rifles I've seen of that vintage it has a dovetail mounted front sight. If your's is the same then hitting it with a hammer is very likely to change things. Depending on how badly it is bent I believe I'd start with a pair of pliers (and something to protect the finish) and plan on sighting it in again.

For peace of mind you might have a look at Brownells, or other suppliers, to see whether replacement front sights are available; just in case... :-)

Reply to
John B.

But it isn't going to be brittle. As for the metal, 99% chance is that it's a low-carbon steel.

For that matter, the barrel probably is, too. Nothing more than 1040, certainly, and probably less.

If it were me, I'd drift the sight out of the dovetail (they usually come out easily with a copper-tipped drift or a piece of brass bar), straighten it with a hammer and drift/punch in a vise, and then re-install it. You probably will have to prick-punch the bottom of the dovetail a bit to get it to stay in place. That's a common thing.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sights on those old boy's guns are mild steel, unless it's really bent over flat, you should be able to square it up. I've got nylon-jawed pliers for such things, you might be able to tap it with a brass punch to bend it, takes a good backing mass to do that.

If you need parts, see what Gun Parts/Numrich has. They'll have what's available. Looks like no original front sights, though. I've used chunks of old house/car keys for the blades of such things, myself.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Tweaked. Twisted to port or starboard as if it were hit on one side or the other?

Make up a piece of hardwood or aluminum that is at least 1" wide, and s about 8-10" long with a thin slot machined in the side, near one end..(use a few plunges with a drill bit )and place it over the sight....with the wood along the top of the barrel..not out front. Hold the rifle in a padded vise and gently..gently pull that piece of wood/aluminum until the twist is gone. Having it over the barrel helps you keep your orientation and helps prevent over tweaking it.

And move it a tiny bit at a time. It may..may be steel..or it may be aluminum. Go slow..there isnt a rush.

If it busts off..you can either machine a new one, order one for $5 from GunPartsInc or silver solder the thingy backtogther (Id order a new one)

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Dimes silver soldered to a dovetail work pretty nicely and can be filed down quickly.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Then drill a line of holes in the end of the "handle" and use it as I wrote.

Or simply put a bit of brass shim stock between the jaws of a pair of Decent! ViseGrips and do the same thing. Gently and slowly

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner