Cal Smith model plans and art

Anyone know the AMA hall of fame member Cal Smith? I am researching his life and contributions and would appreciate hearing from everybody! He also did the old Strombecker box art. Thanks... Ken

Reply to
KONA RC

I will check with a couple of my sources Ken and get back to you. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

My resourses do not remember him Ken. They were good sources also. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

Cal Smith was a modeler's modeler. An AMA Hall-of-Famer, he was taken far too early at age 49. A true pioneer of those early days in model aviation and boating. CL / FF/ RC

Maybe you can get a start at:

cainhd

Gents,

Many moons ago, I was stationed at NAS Lakehurst, first as NASL Special Services Officer and later in station maintenance in hangar 2. During my tour as SSO, I got to know some of the local modelers and later served them as the NASL liason for civilian modeling activities aboard the station; Indoor, free flight, radio, indoor Nats, I was Johnny on the spot. I even judged a Carrier event for the Garden State Circle Burners although I have never held a U/C handle! I got really involved with the local RCers and of course, having the blimp field right at my front door, I had a great time!

I was fortunate to meet many famous/recognized modelers during this time. One who I did not meet in person was Cal Smith (to the best of my knowledge) but, I did go to his club's auction of his "stuff" after his death, where I picked up a few of his things. What still exists out in my shop is a pair of red and yellow wheel pants from a plane that appeared on a mag cover (I'd have to go digging to find what it was). Many times over the years, I have considered building a ship to put them on but it has been one of those someday projects that are easily put off.

If anybody is interested in a piece (actually 2) of modeling history, I would be happy to let them go to some lucky modeler/club/museum for a mutually agreed upon small sum. I am currently into micro RC and they are way too big for anything I'll be building. Please contact me at my email address if you're interested.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
phlyerphil