Borden's Fine Cheese HO Box car model and decals

I am a fan of the red, white and blue paint scheme that has been used on the State of Maine cars and the version used by the New Haven. Recently, I picked up a Tyco or Mantua box car that used a red, white and blue similar scheme with the lettering Borden's Fine Cheese in the middle band. Does anyone know if this is a fantasy billboard reefer or was this used on both mechanical and iced reefers?

I have gone through many years of Model Railroader and RMC and have yet to see an article about such cars. Does anyone know of any documentations about such and did Champ ever make a decal sheet for the car?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed

I haven't poked around in a Railway Register in a long time but I don't think that Borden ever had any cars. I will note that there is a line called "Head On Collision" which had some tank cars. Black with a HOCX designation.

Bob May

Different kind of car, I know, but who owned the BFIX reporting marks on the Borden's "butter dish" tank cars?

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

BFIX were for Borden's Farm Products Division,

BMPX were for Borden Company, Manufactured Product Division,

BWIX were for Borden-Wieland, Chicago Milk Division.

Reply to
mark_newton

They did.

Reply to
mark_newton

I think it's probably a fantasy scheme - is the model a steel car?

Reply to
mark_newton

The model is a steel car with ice hatches on the roof.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

IIRC, I had one like it in HO made by Train-Miniature, but that was long ago.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Definitely a fantasy scheme, then.

All the best,