Color for Ambroid Poultry car

A friend of mine bought an ancient Ambroid Livesay Poultry car kit. There was no paint scheme specified in the instructions. Anyone out there know what color these cars were painted?

Thanks!

Reply to
Gerry Leone

=>A friend of mine bought an ancient Ambroid Livesay Poultry car kit. There =>was no paint scheme specified in the instructions. Anyone out there know =>what color these cars were painted? =>

=>Thanks! =>

=>-- => -Gerry Leone =>

The reason no paint scheme is specified is that no one knows for sure. B/w pix of poultry cars suggest that were painted the usual "box car red." Reporting marks were in standard positions.

NB: old photos (to about the 1930s) were taken with nonpanchromatic film, wh/ was less sensitive to reds, so that objects painted in reds and red-browns printed out as dark greys or even black.

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Somebody in my club built one of these for another member, and he painted the sides white and the roof and ends a dark green. Why? I have no idea... I can ask him when I see him next week if you want me to...

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

There were two kits - the Ambroid "1 in 5000" Livesay car that was half reefer, half live chicken cages, and a later Northeastern (Ambroid) kit for an all live chicken cage Livesay car. The penultimate paragraph on both sets of instructions specifies the cars to have white sides, dark green roof and ends, and black lower side sills and underbody. I took the dark green reference to refer to the then popular Floquil "Diesel Dark Green" color, which was about the shade of old Southern passenger diesels, as opposed to a really dark Brunswick Green. The decals provided with the kits have medium green (a little lighter or thinner than Southern diesel green) lettering for the sides, and white lettering for the lower side sills, which tends to confirm the listed color scheme. I believe Main Line also offered a kit for an all live chicken cage car, and while I don't have one on my roster, I seem to recall this came in a darker scheme - perhaps all box car red. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

Hi All, I built one of these cars way back late 1960's and I painted it white and green ..sort of darkish NYC jade green....dont know why but I think it had some sort of painting instructions with it......I wish I would still have it.....it was a lovely car Cheers Peter

Reply to
Peter

I do believe that the cars were privately owned which pretty much means that you can make them any color that your poultry factory wants them to be. The white sides and dark green roof/ends is pretty much correct for the originals as done by Ambroid. I don't know what shade of green but a Pullman green or Forest green would seem to be about right.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

=>I do believe that the cars were privately owned which pretty much means that =>you can make them any color that your poultry factory wants them to be. The =>white sides and dark green roof/ends is pretty much correct for the =>originals as done by Ambroid. I don't know what shade of green but a =>Pullman green or Forest green would seem to be about right.

In the b/w photos I saw some years ago the car was the same dark colour all over - maybe green w/ black roof?

It looks like we need someone to spend the next few years digging around in ancient archives to find out just what the variations were...

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I painted mine white on the box end and silver on the cage end.

Dave Decker

Gerry Le> A friend of mine bought an ancient Ambroid Livesay Poultry car kit. There

Reply to
dsq

Thanks for the quick answers, guys!

I'm using your accuracy and promptness to try to get this guy to join this group!

- Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Leone