Has anyone bought/built the Revell '05-06 style Mustang kit?

I was looking at the box pics at Hobby Lobby and the underhood detail looked meager at best - really unimpressive in the pictures considering it's a new mold benefitting from the current technology and attention to detail. Anyone with the kit care to give a run down on the good, bad and ugly on the kit and the build?

Is this the only/best offering for the '06 Mustang is 1/25?

TIA

WmB

Reply to
WmB

To answer your last question first, yes. Maisto has a 1/24th metal convertible kit out but it's a pre-production version. I've picked up two of the kits but hadn't noticed the meagre detailing underhood. I guess I rarely look under hoods. One thing that has been the hot subject on this kit and many others coming out of mainland China is the grade of plastic. It seems to work OK with model paints but using lacquers and other automotive paints will cause crazing, even over primers that have been reliable in the past. R-M is looking into this and would welcome any feedback but your operations must be in detail and they would really like to see an example in the 'flesh', as it were.

Interestingly, the louvres included in the 1/24th '65 Mustang GT350H kit will fit into the window spaces behind the doors. Now I have a 1/24th Mustang to build someday too. ;]

You might want to check in here and see what the car guys have to say:

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thanks Bill. That's good to know about the plastic even though I use mostly hobby paint.

That's odd to hear quarter window louvers are included in the Hertz kit - the real cars were clear p-glass.

In the thank you global warming dept, we hit 68 degrees yesterday and it brought everyone out of the woodwork in sports cars and on bikes. A guy popped up at the local choke and puke by the lake in an '06 painted up to resemble a '70 Boss mated to a Shelby GT-350 of sorts - over the quarter windows were louvers. Interesting concept, but alas it reminded me more of a '76 Mustang II Cobra then anything else.

But in re to Hertz meets the 2006 Mustang:

Sweet. I wonder if anyone at Ford knows the Hertz Mustangs were initially offered in a few other colors before black became the specified mark. Strangely enough after all of these years around Mustang collectors and car guys I've never met a single person that actually rented one - in any color.

WmB

Reply to
WmB