[newbie] Cannon barrels color

I'm building a Revell kit of german battleship Tirpitz. Instruction papers show all cannon barrels are to be painted with the same color of the ship's hull, that is (depending on the section) a light, sea or tank grey. On the box image, on the other hand, all cannon barrels are shown as black. Which color is the true one? Were cannon barrels really painted as the rest of the ship, or where they darker? Black cannons surely would look better on the finished model, but I want to paint a realistic Tirpitz. Thanks in advance,

--

--

Reply to
Darth Tear

Look fairly black to me:

Reply to
Toni Lassila

IF you go to this site:

you will see pictures of the Tirpitz in Norway during the war with the guns, hull, and the superstructure painted in the camouflaged scheme. No black guns, in fact the guns from the starboard side all seem to be in the lighter gray, but the port side or above view? Harry

I'm building a Revell kit of german battleship Tirpitz. Instruction papers show all cannon barrels are to be painted with the same color of the ship's hull, that is (depending on the section) a light, sea or tank grey. On the box image, on the other hand, all cannon barrels are shown as black. Which color is the true one? Were cannon barrels really painted as the rest of the ship, or where they darker? Black cannons surely would look better on the finished model, but I want to paint a realistic Tirpitz. Thanks in advance,

--

--

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec