OT Gun question with metal content

I need the smallest capacity magazine for a Winchester Model 100 in .308 cal. I see prices from here to there, and I think it's quite a range. Do I need to buy a genuine vintage magazine, or is an aftermarket okay? And which aftermarkets function as well as an original? How much today, and where to buy?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

For best results, get an original. And there was only one size magazine made by Winchester. Fortunately, the one you need is for the caliber they made the most of. As far as WHERE, Numrich/Gun Parts may have some, I picked mine up at gun shows. There are usually some vendors that specialize in magazines, at least around here. You may encounter an 8-shot made by Colyer, I got a couple of those really cheap once($2), they didn't function. These days, I've seen some pretty fancy prices on those, priced higher than an original factory magazine. Current price for a factory .308 is $50-$80 when you can find them. There are also model 88 magazines that look similar. One can be interchanged with the other, but not the reverse and I don't remember which way it is.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

One can...in many cases...fix magazines that dont work. One simply has to understand how the working magazine works..and why the non working one doesnt.

Unless its so poorly made that its an utter piece of shit. But Ive made a lot of cheap mags work, at least for a time.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner