Slightly OT BUT METAL CONTENT

Google wire leader.
Reply to
RLM

I want to make some leaders of a special nature for fishing. What I want to
make are pieces of wire, starting about 2" long, then the ends spiraled to
make two eyes with a straight piece in the middle. I would put a sinker on
the straight part before making the second eye.
What type of high strength wire would I use? I could probably get some old
guitar wires from a music shop and use the ones that don't have the
secondary spiral winding. Or is there just a simple type of commonly
available wire? Picture hanging wire is cheap, and it is kinda springy.
Mainly, I want it not to bend too much or be soft and break from flexing.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
fishing leader is sold in stores, it's made from stainless steel wire - at least what I've seen here -
Reply to
Bill Noble
If you were here, I'd say hit Bass Pro and see what they have. I've seen stainless leader there. See what Cabela's has for fishing tackle.
The local train store has a lot of music wire, some stainless. Ditto for one of the local hardware stores.
If you HAVE to do mail order, Brownell's sells music wire for spring making, get some of the smaller stuff.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
"RLM" wrote
Do they come with a slip sinker?
Reply to
Steve B
Are they sold with sliding sinkers?
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
To all: I need to make some very short pieces because if I use too long of a piece of anything, it tends to tangle with the lure when casting. Right now, I use the twist on leads with the rubber centers. I want something that will not kink the line or tangle when cast, or slide up from the lure. I will attatch to the lure with a split ring.
HTH
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
There are crimp fittings useful in making eyes. The crimping pliers are under 10 bux. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc.
Reply to
Don Foreman
You buy the crimp on sleeves or ferules at the bait or sporting goods store and make the leaders to your spec's. Add a sliding sinker, crimp leader with loop at each end. Or put a swivel with clasp on one end.
RLM