A little OT: RC boat -metal content

It's getting to be spring and young men's thoughts turn to....FISHING!!! Every year a bunch of us go to Canada and stalk the 50" Great Northern Pike. Over the years I have hatched some bizarre schemes to get an edge on these monsters, some have worked, some get laughs. This year I want a radio-controlled boat to pull a bait in areas that I just can't get into without spooking the fish or getting hung-up. My plan is to use a planerboard release on the boat with about a 10'-20' lead to some appropriate bait. The fish hits the bait, the release pops, I land fish, I release fish, repeat. Searching around for the appropriate boat has been fruitless. (I was thinking of welding one up using 1/4" CRS plate---metal content!) Either the boat is too fast, too small, too unstable, too expensive, etc. The ideal boat would be about 24" - 36" with a wide beam, be able to go slow and be maneuverable, have long battery life and have a method of charging. This year is a drive-in on logging roads, not a fly-in so I will have access to the van's power systems. Oh, BTW, I don't want to spend a lot, maybe $100 or so. Any ideas? Want to loan me your old RC boat?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I made an electric airboat a few years ago. The hull was hotwire cut foam. Twin rudders and a small recess for the radio and batteries. Unsinkable and pretty fast and quiet. Cheap too as I already had the foam and cutting rig. For your application you could simply put the radio stuff in a tupperware box on top with a simple release loop thru a tiny hole in the side.

Reply to
dann mann

That's a "no fooling". I use a second battery sitting loose for jumping the motor.

Reply to
Offbreed

Be sure to add a couple hooks to the lure, ah *boat*.

Reply to
Offbreed

You might want to consider a second battery and a diode isolator. Use second battery for fun and games and leave starting battery for starting. Dead van back of beyond is rather disconcerting.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Oh thanks, that sent a tingle down my spine.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Perhaps gut this thing and use the motors, radio, battery, charger, etc? Maybe you could just use it "as is"... but it looks a little smaller than what you were asking for.

David

Reply to
David Courtney