Zero On topic out of 11

Subject says it all. Why not start your own newsgroup, "alt.politics"?

And no, I don't know or care about filtering and don't think I should have to.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

Feel free to post something on-topic

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

They DO have their "own" ngs, but I think intuitively these people know that the posters in those ngs are inherently dysfunctional and useless, so they xpost to groups that DO have a productive functional constitutency.

They also don't understand "entropy" or "critical mass". But, get used to it, cuz they will NEVER go away. Be glad they are not ACTIVELY sabotaging the group, which is surprisingly easy to do.

The only way to offset their effects is with more on-topic posting, a kind of UNdiluting.

Many good ngs that had quite a heyday are *totally* dead now.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Or something relevent to misc.survivalism..............

I'm with you Pete, what the f*&k is it that these idiots crosspost their blather!

Reply to
Dennis

They are politicians. All of 'em. And politicians don't have to follow the rules.

Reply to
Richard

It is better to post one on topic message, than curse the darkness.

.

And no, I don't know or care about filtering and don't think I should have to.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This group is certainly no where near what it was ten years ago. Still, I get questions answered most every time. And i learn a bit, nor easy for an old fart like me.

I do filter out a few dozen names. And I've learned to not read over half the posts that still come through. I used to read every one.

Oh well, I've found other groups to spend time, but all in all RCM is still my favorite spot.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Does that include this one? If not, make that 0 of 12.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Most of the idiots will be hiding and licking their wounds after the elections. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Seriously? What information would that be?

Reply to
rangerssuck

I never could get hula hoops to work. But, I had a red wagon to play with. Wooden one. With removable sides.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like RCM.

I think that's quotable.

.

Oh well, I've found other groups to spend time, but all in all RCM is still my favorite spot.

Karl

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If people who must reply to political and other offtopic posts would reply to cross posts on the ORIGINATING newsgroup and not this one then the rubbish would be reduced even more.

The other day there were 273 headers downloaded by Agent, of which

218 were crossposts and delete,d leaving 55 originating from this newsgroup. Unfortunately some people only reply to crossposts on this newsgroup and I have to visually filter ( i.e. ignore ) those ones unless I am curious and read some of them.

Alan

Reply to
alan200
[ ... ]

And how do you tell what is the *originating* newsgroup? You can't depend on the order in which the "Newsgroups: " header lists newsgroups, and the threads likely were started cross-posted at the beginning.

Cross-posting *does* have its uses, and the primary example here is the weekly puzzle which is cross posted between rec.puzzles, rec.crafts.metalworking and rec.woodworking -- a pretty reasonable cross-posting given what it is.

This is one reason why I like the ability to score and filter based on the score. Add a negative score for one comma, and increment it for the next two or three until you have enough so it is fully blocked (you can set the threshold at which the killfile takes effect), and then add a positive score for a particular cross-posting or "Subject: " line, so I see what I want, and don't see all the other cross-postings.

Those who automatically limit the "Newsgroups: " header to the newsgroup in which they read an article can cause things which were blocked by my anti-crosspost filtering to suddenly appear, so I have to add the "Subject: " to the filtering too.

It is really getting to the point that you have to be *good* at setting up and maintaining filters to get something useful out of this newsgroup. I do wish that it had been formed as a moderated newsgroup, but I'm not sure that we would have been able to keep moderators, so the newsgroups could die that way too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols