3-D Testers from Chronos: Do they actually work?

Hi!

Two mates (from Germany) recently bought the 3-D Testers from Chronos. Both were off by 0,35 or 0,4 mm. Both have been properly adjusted. Both were returned. What crap is this? Anybody got one from Chronos that actually works as it should?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

phewww =A372.98

never heard of them till now ......

why is there a need for them?

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

They are easier to use and more accurate (at least they should be) than those ... ummm ... wigglers? And they work 3D.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Can you explain what they are supposed to do ? Are they jus the same as a DTI except that you can press down on the point as well as move it sideways ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

well however you use the thing its not for me ...I've got butter fingers.

its actually called a 3d taster not tester... from here ..

This complex and sophisticated measuring tool has but one major drawback: if it receives the slightest amount of damage in the way of a hit, a dent or a jolt it will go out of calibration and nothing will bring it back. It will be necessary to return the gage to the manufacturer in Germany if any repairs or calibration is required; a costly undertaking. Various repair shops have attempted to conquer this beast, but to our knowledge there is as of yet no one capable. We mention this so that you are aware, from the outset, what you're up against.

if its from Germany, why did you buy it from chronos?

All the best.mark

Reply to
mark

"3D-Taster" (3D-feeler) is the German expression. Chronos calls it

3D-Tester. But now I saw, that Haimer calls it "3D-Sensor" on their English pages.

It has nothing to do with "to taste" or "taster" so this naming would be a bit misleading for you English speakers. :-)

The advantage is, that you don't have to add or subtract the ball's diameter.

Re damages: The shaft with the ball breaks, before a real damage happens to the inside. The shaft is made of some ceramics for that reason.

No, its from China. A German-made one would cost 225.- EUR + VAT.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I'm sure that is simply a screwup in the German to English translation. It would be a tester in English...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Addition:

*I* didn't buy it. I have learned the hard way to stay away from Chinese products, especially if they are measuring instruments. We all know the reliable brands ...

BTW: Due to the low Pound, companies like Chronos now do a lot of business with the EUR-continent (while supply lasts). I fear that they already damn those picky Krauts. ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

The above might be true for the one discussed above,but for the 3D Taster we use which comes from WNT,the stylus breaks off if you crash it.It`s only a matter of unscrewing it and screwing the new one in.Less than a minute.Stylus costs =A315

Reply to
mark

Meant to add to the last post.A couple of years back Chronos were selling on Ebay but not as Chronos.You were only made aware it was them after the item was bought and they told you what name to put on a cheque and where to send it. I bought a halogen machine lamp.What a POS.To get it to stay anywhere you had to really tighten the hinged joints and the first time you moved it they came loose again.Lasted about two weeks and went out.Total rubbish.First and last purchase from them.

Reply to
mark

I have two here, both from different factories in China, not trading houses. Both look identical but both give incorrect readings. Pity really as the idea is nice, they are mega quick to set jobs up.

Knowing that these are two totally different factories I can only guess that a wrong set of drawings are being passed around. May take years to get the problem sorted.

John S..

Reply to
John S

What sort of incorrect, out of curiosity?

Are they biased to one side, reading wrong by a consistent percentage or jut not repeatable?

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

He got his money back. Seems they didn't find one working properly. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk" writes

Mark,

I think the last sentence is the key - you damn them on the basis of one purchase. I have bought quite a few things from Chronos over the last couple of years, and find the stuff mostly very good value. For example: a set of Vertex ER32 collets last month on special offer at about £85; a couple of very decent small 3-axis vices; the machine lamp I bought last month (gooseneck type) seems excellent, made by Vertex (but haven't fitted it yet).

Obviously, it's mostly oriental imports, like many suppliers, and you have to choose what you buy - wouldn't be inclined to buy precision measuring instruments there - but a lot better than some other outfits out there.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood