Digital calipers at 9.99

Noted today that Maplin have digital calipers on sale at 9.99
<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo2198
Richard
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:32:31 -0000, "Charles Hamilton"

Not quite sure why you say that. There are thousands of people out in the home engineering game that use "Chinese Scales" I have never yet seen comments that one supplier had a product more accurate than another. I have checked my calipers (which were 10 from CPC) against my slip gauges and see no problems.
You will probably find that these from Maplin are specified at Resolution .01mm Accuracy +/- .02mm
A Mitutoyo 6" Digimatic from J&L will cost you 121 Resolution .01mm Accuracy +/- .02mm
Obviously the quality of the grinding of the jaws is important however I have not yet seen problems.
Richard