A lathe centre height gauge

I appreciate that many here don't need such a device, but for those whose existing method just isn't good enough for a specific situation,

has an interesting design for a Lathe Centre Height Gauge.

In article , A writes

*Wildly* over-elaborate for the purpose. Also, yet another article which repeats the old story about how accurate the tool height needs to be to avoid concave or convex surfaces.

A simple "blade on pole" with flat base is easily good enough for purpose. Actually, I made one for each of my 2 lathes in the form of a cylinder, accurately faced off on the base and cut off at exactly centre height, then with another, shorter cylinder of the same diameter fastened on top but offset sideways. Simple, robust, works for normal an inverted tools, and can be made from offcuts.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Surely the easiest thing to do is scribe a line at centre height on your square and use that.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Gosh! Brilliantly simple!

And even better if two libes are acribed, one from the lathe bed and t'other from the top of the saddle

Reply to
anon and off

I wouldn't trust anything from someone who can't even spell gauge properly.:D

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

interesting

There is a little device being sold on eBay comprising of a ground shaft that you put in your chuck, with a ball bearing mounted aluminium housing holding a spirit level vial. You flip the heel of the device to rest on your cutting tool and adjust tool height until level. Very simple and effective. I do still tend to still use the old

6" rule technique (pinch between tool and work and adust height for a vertical ruler) for less exacting work.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Allan Waterfall writes

He's in the USA, they don't know any better over there...

Actually, IIRC, "gage" over here means the gloves worn by knights, you know, the thing they used to slap people with to challenge them.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In article , Alan Dawes writes

Good idea - and if you blue the blade beforehand the lines will show up better. Marking blue would work, but would wear off; gun blue would last pretty well indefinitely. Might be difficult to see the position without getting parallax errors though.

If you scribe the line using a soft centre you have just refreshed in your lathe this will guarantee it is actually at the exact centre height.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood