A new scraping-video by me :-)

Snip

I have been informed that the Sandvik Hand Scraper is available from Greenwood Tools.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I got mine from Greenwood Tools. It is not in an obvious place on their website as it's listed under milling tools!

and for spare inserts

Despite a lot of searching I've not found an 'industrial' supplier that carries these items, the pricing on those spare inserts is painful!

Reply to
Mike

Thanks again. If you were going to produce cd's or books there would be no time left to scrape ;-) Keep on sharing, it benefits many Dirk

Reply to
Dirk PG1D

There is an interesting posting of converting a recipro saw into a "biax" at

Dirk PG1D

Snip

Thanks for that. I just happen to have a Bosch reciprocating saw that sees little use. I may open it up tomorrow to check the construction. Actually I may silver solder a carbide tip to a "twisted" blade to see if it works

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Took two days until I decided to at least have a look at it. :-) Doesn't look too stupid to me. Also the results seem to be at least good looking. Only the handle is in a bit awkward position. But I think it could be rotated or a different one fitted.

I'll pass that link along!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I wonder if a hedge trimmer would do it ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Hahaha! Your ideas are getting better and better! Me stupid has thrown away one 1/2 year ago (no more hedge).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Good thought - I have a cordless hedge trimmer and no hedge...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi Nick,

Very interesting video, do you happen to know how the bed got twisted ? Maybe it got dropped or something ?

I was particularly interested to see you scraped the blue spots away - when I did my apprenticeship (long time ago) we did a test piece which was hand scraped and I distinctly remember we blued the whole area and the rubbed the mating faces together. This left the blue in the hollows not the peaks and we scraped where there was no blue, the opposite to what you have done. Any comments on this ?

Reply to
Boo

So you need a wall plug?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I tried to find an explanation for this. Maybe I found two. The pre-owing idiots didn't oil the ways, but greased them. :-) The table thus lifts off (there is no positive downholding force, pure weight of the table). And slamming onto the left and right stop (I can envision how they worked with that gem) the bed tilted and rubbed away part of the guide. Also, there is -atop of the main table- an swiveling table. It has a central pin as rotating axis (for grinding tapers) and a clamp on each end of that sub-table that holds it down. Between these tables, there was a nice collection of grit that maybe twisted the lower table.

I suppose that Myford made it right. This is really a joy to work on. Everything best craftsmanship, well constructed. I would rate it "Made in Germany". :-))

I know this technique, but I never tried it out. I call it "inverse touching" (but this is my convention). I think this technique isn't very accurate, lots of smearing the blue around. But then, I don't know.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Presumably if you had a smaller plate, you could use a second plate, or even sheet of glass for the initial roller-loading-area.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

People might be interested in my closely-related approach to flattening the sole of a wood working plane:

(apologies in advance; there's one large image,

3 viewings of which will exceed my hourly geocities allowance)

BugBeasr

Reply to
bugbear

To your picture about how the blue leaves its marks, I made a better graphics. :-)

It also explains why high points do have a dark(er) boundary around them.

At (1), the point is low, at (2) it is medium and and (3) it is high. The upper drawing is a cross-section, the lower the "footprint" the blue leaves behind. (A) is the plate, (B) the blue, (C) work, (D) top view of work.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

What you describe is certainly true, but a subtle complexity I chose to omit. My exposition is aimed at woodworkers with no prior knowledge of the technique, and is as simple and clear as I can manage.

As such I consider the workpiece to be either "blue" or "not blue", allowing no consideration of "shades of blue".

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

My posting wasn't meant as an attack! During my research, I only found "high spots", "medium spots" and "low spots". No word about how they exactly looked like and most of all no description why they look the way they look like.

So I found out (for me) how they work and how they look like and wanted to pass that to others. And came up with that graphics.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

"Nick Mueller" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Anyone interested in a Sandvik handscraper and 10 extra carbide blades? It's only about $100 now...!

Dirk PG1D