Adcock & Shipley

When did Adcock & Shipley stop building Bridgeports in the UK, and does anyone know if they followed the same numbering sequence, or used a different one? Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

They used their own numbering system. The date is built into the serial number. Off hand it's the last two numbers giving the year. Plate is either at the back or inside the door IF it has one.

Heads also have their own numbering and bears no relation to the machine as many had multiple heads or sold as aftermarket to other machine builders.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Further to John S's answer, A&S made the Bridgie's with the A&S name on the plate right up until they were completely bought out by Bridgeport, and there seems to have been machines made after that time still with the A&S naming.

Some prefer the A&S made machines to the pure Bridgeports, but I have no information as to which were actually better.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thank you John & Peter for that information. Looking at some serial numbers I had a vague guess that it may be something to do with the last 2 digits, but I couldn't find any more information on the A&S builds.

Peter, I remember reading a couple of opinions somewhere that British cast iron was actually a bit harder than American cast iron, do you think that may have had anything to do with the preferences? I have nothing to substantiate this of course. And I think I remember John in a previous thread saying that the UK built machines had better motors/electrics?

As you can probably tell I'm still searching for a mill. I was going to have a look at a Gate down at G&M but that sold, and a Beaver I saw advertised elsewhere is just a little bit too big.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I certainly think that our castngs were more massive than the Bridgie stuff, while the older US makes like Cincinatti were even heavier still, but accuracy comes with rigidity and decent sized slideways...

Not difficult, we have or had a far better quality of motor control gear and motor construction for years, albeit at a weight and size penalty. As long as the insulation stands up, most of the old 1950's motors are still OK, might need a pair of bearings now.

Which Beaver was that? (which type rather than 'where')

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter, it was a Beaver Mk 2 with a 56" table, which is just too big for my limited garage space. I can just about squeeze a 42" table in and still have a reasonable work envelope. I found it (along with a lot of other mills) here

on the EAMTM site, but all from dealers so some a bit pricey.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

One just come on ebay.....

7618734910

Looks like it needs a bit of TLC but it could be a cheap one.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Hi Peter,

First, I know nothing about milling machines - but I received this morning a copy of the Engineers Digest dated 1953 (the post is a bit slow round here!). It has a full page Cincinnati advert proudly announcing the Cincinnati range of British built machine tools. It shows a 16" Hydrotel hydraulic mill which is enormous !

So maybe there are both British and US made Cincinnatis ? Address is Cincinnati Milling Machines Ltd, Birmingham

Steve

Reply to
Steve

UK branch of the USA company as far as I am aware, I think they came over before WWII and set up here.

Peter Peter

Prepair Ltd

Quite a few of the American manufacturers setup plants here. My favourate Hardinge was one of them, in the past had some arguments with some of our US cousins flatly refusing to believe my machines were made here!

I have one Feltham made machine (1969) which although looks similar to a USA made one is completely different in many details. The switchgear and motor are very different (Balanced Newman motor made in my old hometown) That motor is still going strong, and now used as a idler on my Westinghouse phase converter.

My later CNC was built in Exeter from UK and US parts according to the nameplate.

Until recently most Bridgeport machining centres were made in Leicester, I wouldn't doubt theres some chinese in them now ;-) Still better than a Haas though!

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Thanks for the heads up Peter, but it looks like it has the 56" table again which is just too big for me:( I was bidding this afternoon on the ex-Omega Plastics machines up in Gateshead. 7 Bridgys all well equipped, mainly 1998 & 2000 machines and used almost exclusively for machining aluminium for their rapid tooling business. As expected prices went a bit high for me on such late machines once the buyers premium etc. went on them.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It's in better nick than my Mk1 VBRP.