Allchin Boiler

At the risk of asking how long a piece of string is can someone give me an idea how many sticks of solder I am likely to use to solder this boiler (1.5" scale). Any other advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Graham B

You aren't allowed to build boilers any more (unless it is a never-to-be-steamed static model), it will need to use traceable metal parts (including solder) and have a proper current steam-certificate and traceability report, and they have to be built by people with proper certification..... talk to your local club boiler officer about it..... laws on pressure vessels have got a lot tighter recently, the days of thhe home-made boiler have pretty much gone......

chrisc

Reply to
ChrisCrosskey

I was under the impression you could still build copper boilers? Perhaps I'm wrong

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In message , John Stevenson writes

My understanding is that the regulations concerning welding and certification of the operative applies to steel (copper boilers are not welded). However traceable materials is still an issue.

My understanding is that you may build your own copper boiler but if you ever want to sell the engine you give away the boiler "for free". However, the advice about contacting your local club is still valid because you will never be able to run the finished engine public place without insurance. The club will be affiliated to one or other of the two UK ME Federations who in turn appear to have negotiated with some insurers and agreed some reasonably sensible rules for "small" privately built pressure vessels not used for commercial purposes.

It is not all bad news and the new rules for pre-existing boilers are not unduly onerous. The rules for hydraulic testing have been relaxed apart from a rather vague and ill-defined requirement for a "visual inspection". Few could grumble that the more important steaming test (safety valve test) is now annual.

Reply to
Mike H

Yes you can. The regulations are extremely tight if you plan to make them commercially and sell them, but somewhat different for building your own boiler for your own use. You will need to join your local model engineering club, in order to get it certified (which is definately a must). The boiler inspector at the club should also be able to help you with any questions.

It does state that silver soldering must be carried out by a "competent person", although there is no actual definition of this term. So make sure you've had some practive first before trying the actual boiler.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele