Blimey!

When I got the Chipmaster, John S. very kindly helped me out with a VFD, motor and two step pulley, because the mechanical variator was FUBARed.

I had forgotten about the two step pulley, leaving it on the "slow" setting. I'd spun it up to its "fastest" setting and thought "Strewth!".

I've never really worried about spindle speed up to now, I just set it for a job by running it too fast, then backing off a bit... ;^)

Well, tonight I put a tacho on the thing. It seems the speed that mildly scared me was 1421 RPM. And this thing's rated to 3000... =8^0

Some experimentation (and pulley changing!) may be called for, just for the hell of it.

Mind, it's nice to be able to go from 27 to 1421 RPM without messing about with belts.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Its rather sad that Myfords are pricing themselves out of business. At one time their quality made them a better proposition than what was foreign tat.

Sadly Jonny Foreigner has started to get his act together and stealing our markets.

Bit like Rover/MG.

Reply to
Brian

May well be true, but what's the connection with Nigel's Chipmaster?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Absolutely nothing.

I was having a blonde moment.

Reply to
briano

Did she enjoy it??

Peter

Prepair Ltd

She probably can't remember it

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I have one of those VFD devices on my lathe, very handy. One day I keep meaning to rig something up to the cross slide so it keeps a constant cutting speed at the tip as you face off for example.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

One of the projects I keep intending to get around to is a tachometer with an approximate measurement of cross-slide position so it can display cutting speed in feet per minute. This seems like an obvious thing to do, but I haven't ever seen one. Do they already exist ?

It would be fairly easy to add an analogue output to a device like this to do the VFD control that you suggest. The advantage of doing it through a control box rather than with a pot coupled direct to the VFD is that it would be easy to reset the centre position, and set limits to the demanded speed.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

The fly in the ointment is that to calculate the cutting speed it's not the cross slide position you need, it's the cutting radius..... this will change in relation to the cross slide every time you change tool.

It might be possible to have a " tool ofset " to set the "at centre" position for the tool.....

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I had assumed it would need zeroing - fairly easy to set it when you check centre height. But some other fixed position like the outer diameter of a favourite chuck would be a good idea too. It just needs more messing around and extra buttons to set a non-zero value.

Or should I just try to get more experience so I can tell the right speed without having to think about rpm and radius ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Reply to
Don Young

OK for meausurement, but I'd agree it's a problem for control.

I think a VFD will do 10 to 1, but probably lose torque at the low end. However, I don't think you'd want such a large change done automatically anyway. You certainly wouldn't want the speed approaching infinity as you got towards the centre while facing off ! You'd need to set upper and lower limits.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin