bolting a lathe without feet

Hello gentleman,

I own a Ceriani lathe. You can see it on

As you can see on
and in the link above, this lathe has no "feet" or "legs".

I would like to bolt the lathe on my (steel) stand with leveling mounts/jackscrew/jackmount or something similar, but I have no idea about to do that without lathe feet.

Manufacturer did put two holes in the belt cabinet (the box on the left side of the lathe). This is made by sheet metal and it is bolted to the bed. I think it is just for "locking" lathe, not for supporting it.

Under the tailstock, there is space for a little plate. This plate is supported from bed and, if bolted to the stand, presses the bed against stand. This way, the plate lock the bed to the stand. Not a nice setup IMHO. (And I don't like three point support...)

Holes in the belt cabinet and plate under tailstock are the suggested ways to bolt the lathe to a stand in the manufacturer's opinion (I asked for that to the manufacturer).

Have you a better idea?

I did think to put two aluminum/stee plates, one under the headstock and and the other under the tailstock,each supported with four leveling bolts.

But leveling a lathe supported by eight bolts is not a simple thing. For instance, What if I use just two leveling mount for every plate? (lathe weighs 85 kg).

Or what if I drill a couple of hole in the bed and then I put four L-shaped plated just to create a sort of feet? (But drilling the bed doesn't make me happy...). Lets' say, something like in the pic visible on

Thank you in advance for your answers.

lele

Reply to
pinguino

I think you may generate more problems than you solve that way.

If I were you I would go ahead and put an aluminium or steel plate under each end to give it a possibly more 'even' mounting surface than the sheet steel cabinet, and then bolt through these plates into the cabinet. Do a test cut (information on setup and test cuts here

), and then adjust the level by putting shims between the headstock/tailstock casting and the plate.

When I had a Chester DB10G lathe I did it exactly this way and ended up having to put about 0.8mm of shim under one side of the headstock ' foot' casting to get it level-ish.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I added some pics of the lathe. I hope this can help to clarify.

regards lele

Reply to
pinguino

I think you're absolutely right :-) It was just an attempt.

Please give a look on the pics I posted of MY lathe (the pics on the CERIANI site were just sample pics)

?.dir=f9bdre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//it.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos Do you confirm your idea?

thank you a lot. lele

Reply to
pinguino