Brazing

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

sorry, that's utter nonsense - wheee :(, too much booze - except when it isn't .. don't take it literally ..
.. but silica aerogels are cool.
Gootube knows.
-- Peter

Snipped
I had one of those "living flame" gas fires ripped out a while back and the whole thing is ceramic insulation in sheet and formed parts. It's awesome insulation properties and it allows a makeshift hearth for free. Next time the gas man comes round to do a service, I'm going to see if I can scrounge some more...
Steve
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:31:03 -0000, "Steve"

The firebacks from a Baxi Bermuda or similar radiant gas fire are well worth scrounging from a removed unit. Perfect for laying the part on whilst brazing.
Richard

I recently bought two Gas/Air torches of different sizes from "Home and Workshop" at Footscray - 20.00 each inc new hoses. Could have bought a brazing hearth with a torch for 35.00, but I don't have any room in mt workshop for one.
Try [utl]http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk /[/url]
Manufacturers are Flamefast who do the RF10 & RF80 or T2 & T4 Torches. I'm running mine in Propane (32mBar) and a LPHV vane type blower. The RF types are designed to run from a LP air blower. The T types run on 4psi air. Mine were marked "NG" so they were obviously designed for "Natural Gas" but, they seem to be happy on Propane.
[url]http://www.flamefast.co.uk/heat-treatment/gas-air-torches.html [/ url]
Andy

Rather than buy, build.
    http://ronreil.abana.org/design2.shtml#Monster
which will melt cast iron in a foundry or try the Mini-Mongo burner by Rupert Wenig with the tapered flame retainer for brazing. Both are propane-air torches. I used the Mini-Mongo in my (Dave Gingery) foundry to melt a litre of aluminium in about 15 minutes. Should be fine for other purposes.
Mike in BC
Michael Gray wrote:

The forge burners work really well. I've seen Rupert's burners in his furnace, and they really work well.
There are instructions available on various blacksmithing sites for propane burners in sizes from 1/2" pipe, on up to quite huge. They are very cheap to build, too.
Cheers Trev

When I went to tech school, the machine shop had two air gas torches. It was coal gas then. I have never seen torches like that since the 1950s.
Sigh! As far as I know, Sievert has no presence in Canada. Certainly not on the West Coast where I live.
Steve R.