Brazing Copper to Steel

I need to mount a pair of heavy copper straps each 6mm x 45mm x 150mm so that they stick out from an insulation board by about an inch but are affixed very stongly along the 150mm length, and the easiest way seems to be to braze or silver solder the 150mm length to the single leg of a 'tee' shaped steel rolling, and use the top flat of the tee for the rigid mounting via bolts.

Brazing copper is no problem, and brazing steel is no problem, but does anyone expect any problems brazing the two together other than their differential expansion ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Do you have MAG? With simple steel wire, you can easily weld the copper to the steel. Takes a bit more power and one or two tries on some scrap. Direct the arc more to the copper.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I don't see why there should be any problems, I've brazed brass to steel many times, also probably copper to steel but can't remember specific occasions. You'll probably have to get the entire piece of copper to near brazing temperature because of its high conductivity.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

I have had no problem brazing stainless steel super-heater tubes to copper fittings using J.M. 'Argobraze 56' and 'Tenacity 4a' flux.

Reply to
Mike H

scrap.

TIG and MIG and arc yes, but not MAG - I'll probably do it with oxy-acetylene though.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

single

That's encouraging

No real problem, these links are only carrying a few tens of thousands of amps circulating current !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I might be wrong here, but isnt MAG MIG with CO2? Its only MIG with an inert (argon usually) gas, Metal Active Gas welding is done with a non inert gas, iirc usually CO2.

FWIW Ive OA welded copper to copper, its possible, but there is only a very short 'puddle time' before it ends up as a hole. I suspect copper to steel brazing would be reasonably simple, brass to steel is, I used a prefluxed rod of uncertain parentage (I *think* it was fluxobronze K, it was what was to hand).

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

MAG is MIG with CO2 :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

And oxygen as well I thought?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you have MIG, you have MAG. Just swap the bottles. :-) (I know, that many US can't distinguish between MIG and MAG, but the UK-people?)

MIG: Metal Inert Gas (Ar, He) MAG: Metal Active Gas (CO2, Ar/CO2 mixes, tri-mix, ...)

I did it with Ar/CO2 18%. Maybe you'll get a problem with pure CO2, but pure Ar should work without problems.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

**Verrry* rare! I know that you can get a special Al-mixture with a tad of O2.

MAG means that it contains *some* active gas. It doesn't mean that it is pure CO2. Here, the Corgon-mixes ([tm]by Linde of course; Argon with

10..18% CO2) are popular.

But maybe I'll switch. Last 20l tank (200 bar) costed 50.- EUR. :-(

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

[snip]

When brazing, the joint is made at red heat so the copper will be very 'soft' and thus very compliant in comparison with the steel as they both cool. Until someone with expert knowledge comes along to say otherwise I will argue that initial stresses in the cooled joint will be low and will remain so unless and until other factors cause the copper to move and to work harden.

Reply to
Mike H

otherwise I

Sounds very plausible - yes I'll buy that !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:26:48 +0200, Nick Mueller enlightened us thusly:

Air products COOGAR 5 is what I use here for steel. I forget the actual percentages.

Reply to
Austin Shackles