Brazing Copper to Steel

I need to mount a pair of heavy copper straps each 6mm x 45mm x 150mm so that they stick out from an insulation board by about an inch but
are affixed very stongly along the 150mm length, and the easiest way seems to be to braze or silver solder the 150mm length to the single leg of a 'tee' shaped steel rolling, and use the top flat of the tee for the rigid mounting via bolts.
Brazing copper is no problem, and brazing steel is no problem, but does anyone expect any problems brazing the two together other than their differential expansion ?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Do you have MAG? With simple steel wire, you can easily weld the copper to the steel. Takes a bit more power and one or two tries on some scrap. Direct the arc more to the copper.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***

than
copper to

scrap.
TIG and MIG and arc yes, but not MAG - I'll probably do it with oxy-acetylene though.
AWEM
On 30 Mar, 19:03, "Andrew Mawson"

I might be wrong here, but isnt MAG MIG with CO2? Its only MIG with an inert (argon usually) gas, Metal Active Gas welding is done with a non inert gas, iirc usually CO2.
FWIW Ive OA welded copper to copper, its possible, but there is only a very short 'puddle time' before it ends up as a hole. I suspect copper to steel brazing would be reasonably simple, brass to steel is, I used a prefluxed rod of uncertain parentage (I *think* it was fluxobronze K, it was what was to hand).
Dave
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:03:59 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

MAG is MIG with CO2 :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

but
And oxygen as well I thought?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

**Verrry* rare! I know that you can get a special Al-mixture with a tad of O2.
MAG means that it contains *some* active gas. It doesn't mean that it is pure CO2. Here, the Corgon-mixes ([tm]by Linde of course; Argon with 10..18% CO2) are popular.
But maybe I'll switch. Last 20l tank (200 bar) costed 50.- EUR. :-(
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***

Air products COOGAR 5 is what I use here for steel. I forget the actual percentages.
Andrew Mawson wrote:

If you have MIG, you have MAG. Just swap the bottles. :-) (I know, that many US can't distinguish between MIG and MAG, but the UK-people?)
MIG: Metal Inert Gas (Ar, He) MAG: Metal Active Gas (CO2, Ar/CO2 mixes, tri-mix, ...)
I did it with Ar/CO2 18%. Maybe you'll get a problem with pure CO2, but pure Ar should work without problems.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***

I don't see why there should be any problems, I've brazed brass to steel many times, also probably copper to steel but can't remember specific occasions. You'll probably have to get the entire piece of copper to near brazing temperature because of its high conductivity.
Tim

I have had no problem brazing stainless steel super-heater tubes to copper fittings using J.M. 'Argobraze 56' and 'Tenacity 4a' flux.
--
Mike Hopkins
CSME <http://www.cheltsme.org.uk>

150mm
but
way
single
tee
That's encouraging <G>
No real problem, these links are only carrying a few tens of thousands of amps circulating current !
AWEM
[snip]

When brazing, the joint is made at red heat so the copper will be very 'soft' and thus very compliant in comparison with the steel as they both cool. Until someone with expert knowledge comes along to say otherwise I will argue that initial stresses in the cooled joint will be low and will remain so unless and until other factors cause the copper to move and to work harden.
--
Mike Hopkins
CSME <http://www.cheltsme.org.uk>
writes

very
both
otherwise I

move
Sounds very plausible - yes I'll buy that !
AWEM