Bridgeport I.D thought

I was wondering what came first, or what is the story of a machine that has the turret arm with a cast plate that only says "Bridgeport" as opposed to one that says "Bridgeport by Adcock & Shipley"

Would the one not marked A & S be an American import? I have both, and feel the A & S one is older.

I have looked under the front covers on the knee to see the serial numbers, but don't see anything?

Reply to
Emimec

A&S licensed the design off Bridgeport's hence the marking. Pity they were bored that day and didn't licence something decent.

Slight differences, the A&S usually had a door in the side, Bridgie's didn't. Bridgie's had serial numbers on the knee and needed a list to understand. A&S had theirs inside the door and the year was the last two numbers

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

If it adds any worthwhile information, some early US Bridgeports also had the door on the column. I do not know what years but I think mine is mid-1950's.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks, very interesting. My green one has the door, so will look for the plate, my other one, a grey one that looks much newer and has a 48" table, will be subject to investigation as it has no door. I couldnt find a serial number on the knee. This one also has a varispeed head, but the speed dial has a cover if that is signifigant. The comment about A&S being bored suprises me. I find both Bridgeports to be very good, versatile and suited to most jobs. Not anyway near as sturdy as my old Victoria V1, or if I could get my hands on one, an Arno ( if anyone knows where there is an Arno, let me know please) Bob

Reply to
Emimec