Bridgeport Question

One for the experts:

Can the (approximate) age of a Bridgeport Turret mill be ascertained by the paint colour, assuming that it is original, or were they painted in random shades of grey and khaki ?? I am looking at the Adcock & Shipley machines in particular.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web

Peter A Forbes

As Tom says the S/N is a give away for the pre1969 machines. When Textron took over the grey colour had a distict purple tinge. My 1969 BRJ was the 'grey grey' but is now the 'purple grey' as Bridgeport gave me the wrong paint code when I rebuilt it !. My 1987 Bridgeport Interact 1 is 'purple grey'.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

And that's the machine number - not the head. Head numbering doesn't run in the same sequence and can't be used for dating.

And my BP head is Fergie Light Grey 'cos I had a couple of litres on the shelf!

Charles

Charles Ping

FWIW Prior to 1969 A & S machines had the build date on the serial number plate. After that, the last digits indicate the month & year of build.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

FWIW Prior to 1969 A & S machines had the build date on the serial number plate. After that, the last 4 digits indicate the month & year of build.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Bridgeport serial numbers vs Date of manufature

Mark Higham

Aahh the famous dyslexic American list.

1942 should start BH 1550 1943 should start BH 2944

Note that these numbers only relate to US made machines. UK machines made by Adcock and Shipley or Bridgeport [ Leicester ] or Textron have their own range of numbers.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thanks for the info, guys, we have just bought a Beaver Turret mill on ebay, after prior consultation within the Cynical Traders Group...:-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Which one?

I've got a Mk1 VBRP with 48" table and 30INT taper waiting for a major rebuild once the workshop is built.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand