Bridgeport Question

One for the experts:
Can the (approximate) age of a Bridgeport Turret mill be ascertained by the paint colour, assuming that it is original, or were they painted in random
shades of grey and khaki ?? I am looking at the Adcock & Shipley machines in particular.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

As Tom says the S/N is a give away for the pre1969 machines. When Textron took over the grey colour had a distict purple tinge. My 1969 BRJ was the 'grey grey' but is now the 'purple grey' as Bridgeport gave me the wrong paint code when I rebuilt it !. My 1987 Bridgeport Interact 1 is 'purple grey'.
AWEM

And that's the machine number - not the head. Head numbering doesn't run in the same sequence and can't be used for dating.
And my BP head is Fergie Light Grey 'cos I had a couple of litres on the shelf!
Charles
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk /
Peter A Forbes wrote:

FWIW Prior to 1969 A & S machines had the build date on the serial number plate. After that, the last digits indicate the month & year of build.
Tom
Peter A Forbes wrote:

FWIW Prior to 1969 A & S machines had the build date on the serial number plate. After that, the last 4 digits indicate the month & year of build.
Tom
Bridgeport serial numbers vs Date of manufature http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/bridgeport/bridgeport.html

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:44:21 -0000, "Mark Higham"

Aahh the famous dyslexic American list. 1942 should start BH 1550 1943 should start BH 2944
Note that these numbers only relate to US made machines. UK machines made by Adcock and Shipley or Bridgeport [ Leicester ] or Textron have their own range of numbers.

-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:25:57 +0000, John Stevenson

Thanks for the info, guys, we have just bought a Beaver Turret mill on ebay, after prior consultation within the Cynical Traders Group...:-))
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk

Which one?
I've got a Mk1 VBRP with 48" table and 30INT taper waiting for a major rebuild once the workshop is built.
Mark Rand RTFM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item869640306
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel