Cant stop laughing-- slightly off topic

I wonder if that is what Mrs AC puts in my morning coffee...
Reply to
AC
In article , Emimec writes
Ha! Looks like a simple diethyl ether spray - AIUI a standard dodge for starting reluctant engines.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
That made me smile when I first saw it in the local auto store as well. It's just the same as easy-start back in the UK.
Reply to
Kevin
In article , Kev> >
I don't see anything to smile about, making a powerful anaesthetic like diethyl ether readily available is totally irresponsible.
The might as well advertise it as "The product of first choice for muggers and rapists - instantly subdue your victim" Alan
Reply to
Alan Dawes
Well it certainly subdues my dumper truck when it's minus 8 and the low compression cylinder is refusing to start, though I think of me as the victim and Mr Thwaites as the attacker in this instance!
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
In article , Alan Dawes writes
Powerful? In my experience it takes quite some time, and quite a lot of lungfuls, for diethyl ether to anaesthetise, even longer to render unconscious.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
Yes - it's been a long time since the 60's, but some people used to inhale it for fun back then. As I recall, it was a bit like sniffing glue, though perhaps a bit healthier.
Chloroform, on the other hand, is somewhat quicker in effect, and quite a bit nastier health-wise. But it doesn't burn, or spontaneously form peroxides in air, so it got used for medical anesthesia more than ether did.
Besides which, like most things, you can just buy diethyl ether (or chloroform, or even uranium) on ebay anyway :)

-- Peter Fairbrother
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
It would hardly be my first choice if I was a footpad. A more rapidly accessible anaesthetic would be a simple hammer, or are you suggesting sale of those should also be restricted.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
A few years ago a pic of SYB was circulating on the net, but it was clearly a can of easy start which had been photo-shopped. I was expecting this to be the same again.
Steve
Reply to
shazzbat
What about this one? Can't buy this at B&Q
Wayne Weedon

Odd really, Screwfix and B&Q are now both owned by the same firm...
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes I know. My wife work for the latter so I'm aware of the setup, but they still don't stock it.
Screwfix of course is the arm aimed more at the trademen, ie generally those without a sense of humour bypass.
Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Or Orange pinnies.
My aim, when I finally get laid off for being too expensive for the desired quality of work, is to get a job as an old fart with an orange pinnie at B&Q. Then I can tell all the punters that they should go to a decent shop that doesn't stock lowest cost crap that doesn't do what they need it to do :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand

So a B&Q is a Home Depot or Lowe's on this side. Got it, what's a pinnie, ah, pinafore = sleeveless garment worn as apron. Get laid off with a severance package if at all possible. I much prefer being retired to fighting the mobs in to work.
Good luck.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
You're too late I'm afraid. All the real tool shops have been killed off by the supermarkets. As I once heard it put "The bitterness of low quality lasts long after the sweet taste of low price has faded."
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
In article , Cliff Coggin writes
Except for the few who have survived by going online.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood