Off (and on) topic!

Hi Troops:

I had knee replacement surgery on November 9. Been putting it off as long as I could stand the pain in the original. Yesterday was a milestone. I had to go to Gettysburg on club business. Destination was the office of the "Friends of the Park" organization, 2nd floor of an old house with high ceilings and stair wells. I went up the stairs like normal people, no more step with the right foot and drag the left along behind. Marvelous! I kid the therapist working on me about having been trained by the World Wrestling Federation, but I'm thinking I should have signed for this knee replacement right after I retired in 2002. Oh well, live and learn! To keep things on topic, I picked up the Special Hobby 1/32 scale Curtiss Hawk at the hobby shop today. I have seen some criticism of the packaging in some posts and was prepared for problems. No such bad! Some complained that the lower wing was just barely able to fit in the box and had been dinged in shipping, and maybe parts had come out of the mold too hot and soft. Mine has no such problems. From the engineering of the forward fuselage there will be other versions of this bird. The kit is obviously designed for a wright engined version in the future, and the clear sprue has three different wind screens so my guess is a French bird and probably a Finnish aircraft as well. When we get the Wright engined version there will be at least British and Dutch East Indies aircraft I'm betting. I can see where assembling the forward fuselage may be tricky due to the way it is engineered, but that is the price we pay for getting more out of the molds, it's just economics folks! The clear sprue is packaged right in with the other parts which may lead to some scratched up clear parts, I put my set in a small separate baggie right away. The parts are quite clear and very thin. This Eastern European consortium is getting better with each release. This might be a good excuse to go purchase those three sets of

1/32 Curtiss Hawk decals that Dave Klaus' people at Meteor Productions have for his 1/32 conversions of the Trumpeter P-40B. I could end up with a whole shelf full of these. Merry Christmas All! Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news:43ACD6A6.E0459875 @starpower.net:

What I've been thinking and laughing under my breath about is that given the amount of pissing and moaning about the 2 available 1/32 P-40s wouldn't it be a hoot to see a P-40 conversion of the P-36. Then you could decide if you wanted to build an accurate P-40 from the... oh never mind. I'll just do my Revell and be happy.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Speaking of the Revel 1/32 scale P-40E, I have two of the early releases of them; the ones with the AVG decals, in the storage locker (haven't moved much of my modeling stuff into the new house yet). Your comment made me begin to think about them. Does anyone do a resin cockpit for this kit?

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Good luck with your new knee. I do these for a living as an orthopaedic surgeon at a medical center, and it is a very satisfying operation to perform- patients uniformly get excellent results and relief of their pain.

Now you can squat down and pick up the parts that you drop on the floor!

Reply to
Viperdoc

Congrats, Bill- everyone in my family that had this kind of stuff done said exactly that- therapy was seriously no fun, but the results were incredible! Might have to invest in the P-36 with the National Air Races markings- liked those ever since I was a kid-

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Not that I know of. But Eduard did a really nice etched brass set for the 1/32 Revell Kittyhawk, had wheel wells and cockpit detail and was very nice. Might be one of their older sets and tough to find now.

Merry Christmas & Good hunting! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yes! But then you get into the snakepit of what were the correct colors for those aircraft at the NATs! Everyone was different and some of the surviving color photos suffer from color drift so all I can say is "Have Fun"!

Merry Christmas! Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yeah, but they look so cool- besides, anybody argues with me, I say PROVE IT!! Hell, it's supposed to be fun, right?

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Bill,

Jerry Rutman makes some very nice detail sets for the old Revell kit. His website is at

and he is very good to deal with. Don't know how you feel about buying Chinese manufactured products, but Trumpeter has announced new tool P-40M, P-40K, and P-40E in 1/32nd scale, this info straight from the Stevens Intl. website.

I still have several of the Revell kits...one being very special. General Robert L. Scott autographed the box for me at an IPMS show in Warner Robins, GA years ago, along with a copy of his book "The Day I Owned The Sky". As you may know, Gen. Scott has long been very active with the Air Museum at Robins AFB, and lives in Fort Valley, GA. not far from there.

Thank you for serving our country.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reply to
Jim Whitley

Thanks, Jim. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Reply to
Bill Woodier