Maps-slightly off topic

For me, the history is part of the interest in a model. I am looking for a World Map, but of the World as it looked in 1940-45, the World War II period. A lot has changed since then. I found a bin full at Barnes & Noble, but they were all current maps. Does any body out there have a line on a source for Maps from an earlier period? Maybe an old National Geographic Map? The guy who taught Military History in the ROTC where I went to school many years ago had a huge World Map glued to plywood and mounted to a wall in his class room. I would love to find one of those.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

try a used book store...many have old national geographics cheap...some might even give you a line on where to find old maps,or even have some for sale

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Granted, these aren't wall-sized maps to hang up, but the PCL Map Collection at the University of Texas has some maps from all eras, and most will print out nicely on an 8x11 page.

CBR

Check the local schools. Now that everything is going "on-line", they may gladly donate the "old fashioned" paper stuff.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Reply to
Grandpa

Hammond used to do historical atlases--fairly cheap too, as they were intended for students. Michelin did a reissue of their 1947 map of Normandie in 1994, superimposed with details of the 1944 invasion--map #

102, "Bataille de Normandie: Juin-Août 1944." I think there were two others in the same series. Apart from that, National Geographic did an atlas sometime between 1939 and 1944 that is really very nice if you can find it, and Hammond did a series of paperback 9"x12" atlases--I have what's left of the 1944 and 1946 editions from my dad. Old World Book and Encyclopedia Britainicas might also be helpful, as well as looking for old globes in antique shops. Try searching on ABE Books [abebooks.com]--I've found their search engine to be a superb research tool.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert