Master and Commander

Saw Master and Commander last night and loved it. Had watched the History verses Hollywood show on it on the History Channel and heard the NPR interview with the director the week before. They used real ships and tactics and strategy played an important part of the story. Loved the big lumbering ships chasing each other in fog and storms. The only hard to believe part was the pinpoint accuracy of the first rounds from the cannons from the Frenxch ship from far away in the fog that prevented the british ship from even seeing them.

The DVD should have some great extra stuff.

Will have to look at some wood ship kits now...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Grandpa

Not to mention that if you haven't read O'Brien's books, you have a large treat in store :)

Reply to
Jeff C

There's a nice little film about the movie's model work at:

(make sure you get the whole URL: wrapping may have broken it!)

Bestest, M.

Reply to
Matt Bacon

Tom,

If you loved the movie, then start reading the series of books. They're wonderful!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

I haven't read any of O'brien's books. Can I have a Poppin' Fresh French Silk pie?

Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Not from O'Brien, but you can have a nice helping of 20 large servings of adventure : )

Reply to
Jeff C

But seriously, though, if you're interested in a model that looks like it belongs in the movie, you can shell out a few hundred for a wooden kit or look up the Lindberg "Jolly Roger". It started out as "La Flore" a French frigate contemporary of HMS "Rose", the ship whose replica now portrays the "Surprise" in the movie, itself a French prize. Enclose the bow, square up the stern windows and only an expert could tell the difference. ( I wonder how long Lindberg will stay off the bandwagon--as a historical ship, "Surprise" is in the public domain.)

Reply to
Tom Cervo

I haven't seen it yet, but am disturbed by a show I saw on the making of the film, and by ads I see on TV.

My objection is that Crowe doesn't look like a British warship captain to me- more like a pirate ship captain. What is with the scruffy look- is there a story reason for it? I've heard he was made up this way to appeal to the ladies. Apparently today scruffy is sexy. If this is the reason I am sadly disappointed. Shirt unbuttoned, lack of shave- sexy maybe but not what I associate with a British warship officer.

Now, it may be that I haven't read >

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I don't want to give it away, but rest assured, he's all cleaned up, shaved, and appropriate for much of it. There is a reason he isn't in the major battle.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

I'm about 50 books behind already but may have to do that oover the holidays.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

The books are great - only thing to me above it is still C.S. Forester's Hornblower. As to the appearance of R. Crowe/J. Aubrey: In the books he is not too much of a gentleman and regarding clothes I think it can be said generally that even the ship's officers weren't always dressed that proper when at sea. Full uniform I believe was spared for official opportunities. Just think of the circumstances of those days, especially at sea.

Movie starts over here in Germany Nov.27...

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

No running water, no agitator washers, synthetic stain resistant or no-iron fibers, Shout or other stain removers, electric irons, air conditioning or fans, showers, or modern level of hygene or sanitation. I would think an immaculent officer would have been outof place most of the time in their situation.

And of couse, by comparison to the motley crew, the officers in the movie were pretty spiffy looking. ;-)

Enjoy. Remember they didn't follow the book exactly. They changed wars and one of the ship's nationalities, IIRC form the NPR interview with the director. Extras on the DVD should be neat.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Reply to
jerry 47

Reply to
Grandpa

I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through the first book. So far, Aubrey has been on deck in his nightshirt, had the hair burned off one side of his head, and been chastised about his appearance by a senior officer. So much for the myth of the nattily attired English sea captain.

BTW, there's a neat video that features some of the models used in the film's production at:

James

___________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

Smart move. Some of the novels are long on description and character. (Elmore Leonard once said that he leaves the things out of his novels that people don't read anyway.) They may be doing what the Rathbone-Bruce Sherlock Holmes films did--stick to the characters alone and just put them into interesting situations, some from the novels, some made up.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Forester for plot and drama, O'Brian for characterization and dialogue. Forester never forgot that he was writing FOR an audience, not TO them

Reply to
Tom Cervo

FWIW I was in Barnes & Noble the other evening and they had a big book in the Military History section titled "Patrick O'Brien's Navy". Was all about the Royal Navy of the period and explaining a lot of the background lore used in the books. Had a lot of illustrations for those who don't know what a "Ship o' the Line" looked like.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Two other Forester reads are worthwhile:

Death to the French. A Rifleman on his own in the Peninsular War. Possibly an inspiration for Cornwell's Sharpe"series?

The Good Shepherd. WW2 convoy escort in the Atlantic. Quite out of character for CSF.About a USN escort group commander. Easy read, fairly short, I was impressed. Probably not available now.

Cheers,

Doc H

Reply to
DHopper8