Master and Commander

They didn't own her.

That sense of preservation was not very strong in the lare forties and fifties. Britain was still effectively bankrupt from WW2, and the money wasn't there. It was during the same time that the US allowed the America and the Hartford to decay and rot--and allowed the Enterprize to be scrapped.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

there are more stories like that. there were objections to the warrior being restored.

whatever happened to preservation attempts in the falklands?

In article , Tom Cervo writes

So was "Iron Duke", and we scrapped her about the same time. :( We also lost HMS Conway (ex - HMS Nile) an 82 gun 2 decker (launched

1826) wrecked while under tow in the Menai Straights in 1953, the wreck burning to the waterline during dismantling in 1956.

Funding is still a problem. We nearly lost Cavalier, the last of our WW2 destroyers, a few years ago because Tyneside council neglected her after funding for a maritime heritage project failed to materialise. They failed to sheet the funnel, and rainwater got in and nearly rusted through the hull. Rainwater and funding problems also led to the breaking up of a schooner hull at Barrow around 1998. But "Gannet" and a WW1 monitor are well along with their restorations, and an innovative approach is being mooted to stop the "Cutty Sark" rotting apart. Also on the plus side, there are rumours of a Victorian gunboat hull in a scrapyard near Portsmouth, and what's believed to be another chunk of the "Mary Rose" has been located. One hopes the RN will be more enlightened if they ever decide HMS Caroline is no longer needed by them: Wilson Adams posted a couple of shots of her on a.b.p.t-s. a few of weeks ago, and apart from some excrescences that have grown up aft she's still recognisable as the ship that was at Jutland. Other countries also have had preservation disasters since the war: Poland lost one of their preserved WW2 destroyers, and Turkey scrapped the "Yavuz" (formerly SMS Goeben).

Reply to
Moramarth

In article , e writes

IIRC, the U.S. salvaged the bow section of the clipper "Snow Squall" that was in Port Stanley harbour, but that's all I know of. AFAIK, the hulk I'm most interested in, the "Vicar of Bray", is still at the end of the pier at Goose Green.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Moramarth wrote in news:DJBXILAw5Qw $ snipped-for-privacy@moramarth.demon.co.uk:

The Snow Squall's bow was kept for a while in South Portland, Maine, but is now in the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, ME. I was there a few years ago, it has its own building but you could only look inside as they were still treating the wood for its saltwater exposure.

Jeff Clark e-mail altered

Reply to
Jeff Clark

flogged even after he's dead?i think it's charles laughton as a captain starring.

No, that was the 1935 version of "Bounty" with Laughton and Clark Gable.

Bogard is a "right bastard" of a First Lieutenant who flogs regularly and often (must have confused it with "floss regularly and often!") and triggers the munity after Guiness gets his arm blown off and is out of action. Much more action than the "Bounty."

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne