Carbon brush suppliers?

Looking for brushes for a Lister Everyman horse clipper, they are 5.9 x 4.8 mm, no wire. I've only found domestic appliance spares via google so far. Any suggestions?

I've skimmed the commutator, do I have to sand down some Ferm spares too?

Reply to
newshound

Hi,

Have you tried the maker?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

If you can't get OEM spares, then try a motor re-wind shop. They tend to have an assortment of types from which you could bodge something. If you get something of similar size, it will be likely to be made from a similar composition as the one you are replacing. I once bought the biggest brushes they had thinking that I'd be able to make lots of brushes out of a single one but the material was of much higher metal content, designed for a much higher current application and took ages to bed in.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Try uk.rec.engines.stationary Listers and generators or motors are soem of their favourite topics.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all, three good leads. Don't know why I couldn't find the Lister site!

Reply to
newshound

I have aquired brushes from my local auto-electrical rebuild shop, though they needed attention with a file to get them to size. They were good enough to let me look at their stock to make my choice.

Reply to
brightside S9

Have you tried these people

Brian Lambert

Thanks, I have now; though it is worth observing that the "contact us" links on about three other suppliers have failed! I thought their £50 for repair and service didn't seem too bad, if it includes cleaning up a commutator.

Reply to
newshound

I suspect it will come to that. Most of the Chinese power tools from Screwfix and the like come with a spare set of brushes, so I have a box full of spares all of which are larger than the clipper ones.

Reply to
newshound

Hi,

If you can't get spares from the manufacturer the following might be of help:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I've bought cheap oversized brushes and carved them down before now.=20 With success, too!

--=20 Skipweasel. Never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Quite expensive for two tiny bits of graphite (5 x 5 x 4 mm, no wire or spring), especially if I have to pay up front on spec. I'll probably just file down some larger ones. But thanks for the link anyway, certainly better value than other suppliers some of whom want £12 for washing machine motor brushes.

Reply to
newshound

tp://

if you lived in india .. you would be sitting on the floor cross legged and bare footed and you would be cutting open dry cell batteries and removing the carbon stick in the core . :)

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Do any ever last long enough to need them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)