Cheap angle grinder

I sometimes wonder how low these prices can drop. There's 9" angle grinders on eBay for 34.95 + 7.95 P&P. I recently bought a 5" angle grinder from Aldi for about 13 (can't
remember the exact price). At 1000W it should out perform my 4.5" one.
John
I sometimes wonder how low these prices can drop. There's 9" angle grinders on eBay for 34.95 + 7.95 P&P. I recently bought a 5" angle grinder from Aldi for about 13 (can't remember the exact price). At 1000W it should out perform my 4.5" one.
John
I got one of the Aldi grinders but I broke the spindle lock within days. It could have been nasty if the thing had fallen into the mechanism at those speeds!. You could say it was from over tightening the spindle nut and consequently over stressing the spindle locking mechanism, but I've had other of these cheap tools fail in similar ways: Basically the low melt alloy they cast these from is too feeble. It's really easy to strip threads cut into it - as you do a screw up there's no point at which it feels tight to indicate that further tightening will strip the thread - really you need to under tighten to be on the safe side. The other thing is the grinders really noisy! I've not used an angle grinder before so I can't compare it to others but you really need ear protection and friendly neighbours! A nice cheap tool to learn angle grinders on though!
Scrim
Scrim wrote:

One advantage of the ALDI tools is that if you do get a dud they do offer a 3 year warranty on most things (but often not the accessories!) If you want another one whilst they have stock then they will do that or if you don't want another then you get your money back. Also we have a store just a mile away!!
Bob

I have spent far too long over the last two days with angle grinders and the extra noise of the cheapo one I have versus the expensive one is only noticeable when free running. As soon as you start cutting the noise of the grinder is drowned out by the noise of the grinding wheel. I opted to use my moulded shooting ear plugs topped off by normal ear defenders and while the neighbours may be pissed off, all was fine for me :)